TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

YJ 360 Swap Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackOpsOutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YJ 360 Swap Recommendations
    Posted: Jan/04/2022 at 7:26am
I am about to swap in a 360 into my YJ. I plan to use either an ax15 or nv3550 transmission and 231 transfer case. What is the best motor mount setup? I realize I will have to move and weld the factory ones or replace with aftermarket units. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
jackiegrier007 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackiegrier007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2022 at 7:36am
I recently transplanted an AMC 304 in a 85 CJ-7. I used the original 4 speed tranny and transfer case. It was a very simple & straight forward swap & the new engine was in the same day the old in-line 6 was pulled. The only changes I had to maneuver was re-routing the fuel line to the opposite side and moving the passenger side motor mount forward one hole and presto/chango....IT was done. I believe it will be the same for your YJ...but again mine was a CJ-7....I'm sure someone here will chime in! Hope this has helped.  Smile
BlackOpsOutdoors View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackOpsOutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2022 at 8:47am
Originally posted by jackiegrier007 jackiegrier007 wrote:

I recently transplanted an AMC 304 in a 85 CJ-7. I used the original 4 speed tranny and transfer case. It was a very simple & straight forward swap & the new engine was in the same day the old in-line 6 was pulled. The only changes I had to maneuver was re-routing the fuel line to the opposite side and moving the passenger side motor mount forward one hole and presto/chango....IT was done. I believe it will be the same for your YJ...but again mine was a CJ-7....I'm sure someone here will chime in! Hope this has helped.  Smile
Thank you, that's good info. I believe the YJ frame is wider, and I am swapping out a 2.5 lol. Hopefully it's that easy.
the_j View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2022 at 11:10pm
Personally i would go with the "bombproof" motor mounts from m.o.r.e. off road, im not sure that they make the mounts for a yj, just a cj, but that would just mean you need to find a way to space the mounts in like an inch on each side. Since your jeep has a 2.5l it has an AX5 which 1, wont bolt to the 360, but 2, wont stand the torque. the easiest would be an AX15 or NV3500 from a yj or tj 4.0l jeep. the bellhousing will bolt directly to your engine. then you just cut the mounts off and fab up your mounts. I was planning on putting a 401 in my YJ, but then i swapped an L67 into my 2.5l YJ and put the 401 into an amx i bought. good luck with your swap - if you are intersted, i think i still have the motor mount brackets from the CJ i took the 401 out of, they would require spacers to run in a yj, but i would imagine as a jeep owner, you have a welder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic