TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wire Feed Welder Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by rnscustom rnscustom wrote:

I have the 190 and very happy with it . Bought it thru amazon refurbished for$500 . I had to buy the .023 feed roll separate . Also I think the tips need to be Hobart but tractor supply has them . I also bought the spool gun but havnt tried it yet .

I was told today that the new Hobart 190 comes with a roller that has two grooves. One is a groove for .023 and the other groove is .030 or .035. All you need to do is flip over the roller to change the size.
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/cigweld-verti-cor-309lt-fcaw-wire
This is the flux cored wire that is supposed to be used for stainless with 75/25 shielding gas.
At that price I wouldn't be racing out the door to buy it!.

The first project I completed with my mig was the trolley it lives on today!

Of course a 15 Kg spool is pretty big, about 30 lb.
But I don't think I'd want to pay more for a spool of wire than I paid for my MIG.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 10:11pm
I could buy another tank with tri mix . Just wanted to try welding stainless . I had read a couple welding posts that said you could use regular mig mix . The wheel that came with my 190 does look like it can be used for .023 but it doesn't say it on the wheel. So maybe they changed it and I just never tried it .
8pack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8pack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 1:07am
I have a sp-175 plus and think it's a great welder for a 110v. I know that a 220 has some benefits and have had the opertunity to weld with one but being able to plug into 110 is a great advantage. That being said my sp welds better with smaller wire.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 8:30am
I ran out of wire at one of the places I was working years ago. The shop owner sent his wife to the local NAPA to get a new spool.

When she brought it back, I had to do a lot of readjust on the wire feed rate, and amps to get a weld to satisfy me. Later she mentioned that the 2 lb spool had cost almost $30. I went out and looked close at it, it was stainless steel wire. My weld, once I got it adjusted looked ok. I did some welds on scrap pieces, and tested the welds, they were just as strong as usual.

So if I could weld regular steel with stainless steel wire, I don't see why you couldn't weld stainless steel with regular steel wire.
Just that stainless steel welded with steel wire will be subject to rusting at the welds.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 9:00am
I've welded low grade stainless with regular old steel wire with my Sears/Century MIG. It's 15 years and counting, no sign of corrosion trying to get through anywhere.

Obviously it is not the "recommended" way to do it, but MIG welds are hard and thicker then the tube I welded, so the the rust would have to get through about 3-4 times thicker weld then the stainless. It welds fine too. At the time I did it I was healthy and in practice, no issues at all. I have a cracked Borla I want to weld up, but Mr Depression is kicking my rump...again...still.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 10:01am
I did do the stainless exaust on my sons car , I had the stainless wire but he just wanted to get it done and not play with it . ( too excited after not having a car for months with a bad motor ) . When I wasn't looking he zip tied it up and took it out for a ride , needles to say it now needs header gaskets again and patches needed to be put on the new stainless mufflers . But all welded up fine with regular wire . ( darn kids ) . Take care of that depression , life's momentary spells are tough enough to deal with . Lost a brother 20 years ago to that horrible disease .
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2016 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I ran out of wire at one of the places I was working years ago. The shop owner sent his wife to the local NAPA to get a new spool.

When she brought it back, I had to do a lot of readjust on the wire feed rate, and amps to get a weld to satisfy me. Later she mentioned that the 2 lb spool had cost almost $30. I went out and looked close at it, it was stainless steel wire. My weld, once I got it adjusted looked ok. I did some welds on scrap pieces, and tested the welds, they were just as strong as usual.

So if I could weld regular steel with stainless steel wire, I don't see why you couldn't weld stainless steel with regular steel wire.
Just that stainless steel welded with steel wire will be subject to rusting at the welds.

You can. I welded a stainless steel rail for the pool @ the campground we owned with regular wire. Just primed it and spayed the weld w/ silver paint and it was fine.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2016 at 8:51am
I've got a Lincoln 180C. It has an aluminum handle and the wire feed stuff is in aluminum rather than plastic. Also the electronics are supposedly embedded in epoxy for longer life. I had originally bought the cheaper version with the plastic handle but returned it still in the box and got the better one at a welding supply place. So far I am very happy with it.
locktight View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locktight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 10:37am
i have the hobart welder works very well for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic