TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wire Feed Welder Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 9:58am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

I have a Hobart Handler (don't know the model) but it works great.  I think the Hobart's are just slightly cheapened Lincoln's anyway.   Joe

I'm pretty sure Hobart is made by Miller, my Hobart has a Miller torch.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 12:45pm
If you don't have a climate controlled shop and the welder doesn't get used regularly then pull the wire out so it doesn't get rusty. It will not feed and weld worth a darn if it gets rusty.
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by rnscustom rnscustom wrote:

Actually millers , that's why if you look up that feed roll it's Miller but they are same company . Anyone try stainless wire yet , bought a roll but havnt tried it . Supposedly can use argon co2 mix and it works ??

You can use a mix, but don't exceed 2.5% co2. Usually a mix of Argon, Helium and co2 is used for Stainless.
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 3:40pm
I read tri mix is the way to go . I was going to try 25/75 . I also have straight argon for alum , too bad they don't have a mixing valve that you could hook all your tanks to and mix what you want when you need it .
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2016 at 5:49pm
Apparently there is a flux cored wire that you can use with 25/75, but I have never tried it or seen it (besides in a catalogue). I use a tri mix for mild steel, it's great for thin material.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 2:12pm
Don't use the flux core unless there's a bigger reason - like using it outside on a windy day where the gas would blow away and do no good.

I still need to learn to use this crazy thing, but I got this and love it (I've become great at making perfectly round holes in 18 gauge and thinner steel, I know it's that I'm moving too slow, or holding my mouth wrong or standing too heavy on my right foot. )

It's light, it's not the transformer type. It uses a lot less power than I'm used to - I have a heck of a long cord I'd brought with me from the farm that I had used to power an electric auger I made years ago, I cut it down to something like 40' and it works fine.
rnscustom View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnscustom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 6:14pm
I know what you mean , I have a nice ESAB mig that I was using , the welds were so bad I bought the Hobart figuring it was the machine , well I weld just as bad with the new one . But with practice I'm getting a little better.
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 7:34pm
Bill.. I know what you mean and yes, do not use the flux rod except outside where it is a little windy. Welding with gas is much cleaner. Bill, your Miller 190 sure is pretty! Knowing you it will look just as nice in 5 yrs. 😜
I had considered one of them but it was a bit over what I wanted to spend. The Hobart 190 fit my budget and it was rated exceptional for users w/o a lot of experience. I can use all the help that I can get.
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 7:54pm
It looks like you've got the same welding cart I've got, from Harbor Freight.

I ended up putting bigger back wheels on it and bigger casters so I can roll it around easier outside on the gravel.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2016 at 8:56pm
http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/cigweld-verti-cor-309lt-fcaw-wire
This is the flux cored wire that is supposed to be used for stainless with 75/25 shielding gas.
At that price I wouldn't be racing out the door to buy it!.

The first project I completed with my mig was the trolley it lives on today!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic