TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Windshield wiper issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield wiper issues
    Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 1:07pm
Hey all, so I've been trying to figure out why my two speed wipers don't work on my 72 Javelin. First of all to give you an idea what I'm dealing with, somebody decided to paint the whole engine bay black wiring and all. There is a 4 wire Romex Style cable going from the switch under the dash  through the firewall to the motor (I'm assuming this isn't factory). There was a bunch of electrical tape connecting the wires to the motor when I try to remove them what I was left with was a few small strands of wire coming out of the motor. I'd love to post pictures but being a new member I was told that I need to post at least 30 post before I can do so. Can anyone show me a picture with this should look like before I start tearing the motor apart.
Also can someone tell me the trick to getting the handle off the switch, the service manual says to use a small screwdriver but I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Matt N. - Apr/25/2022 at 1:48pm
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 1:23pm
You will see a small notich under the side of the knob, with a metal tab. Lift tab to pull knob off.

That motor is tricky without TSM. There are hard to find parts that are in the gearbox, and most of all the clip that holds the wiper linkage/transmission assembly to the shaft.

Wires are colour coded, but hopefully the tape was not removed before painting. Stripping back the wiring tape, should show what colours match up. There are a few here who have a loose wiper motor to show pictures of the wiring. To the motor.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Matt N. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 1:45pm
What is a TSM? also the wires coming out of the motor are barely there and have no insulation  left, so I don't know what colors they were. Was there originally a connector there?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 1:55pm
1972 was the last year for the Prestolite wiper motor. There could be several things wrong: bad switch, missing ground tab at the switch, bad connections or wiring, or the motor could be FUBAR. There are a  couple of stickies at the top of the Electrical section pertaining to these motors. You could also do an Advanced Search of the Electrical section using the keywords "Prestolite" and "wiper" and set the time to "any date".

A TSM means Technical Service Manual", AMC speak for shop manual.

BTW, you can post pictures now, if you have them hosted on another site, by linking to the URL of the pictures. Once you have 30 points, you can host the pictures on this site.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 2:01pm
If you plan on more work to be done and further maintenance under ownership; A TSM is a good investment. TSM stands for Technical Service Manual. You can request a 72 TSM in the wanted section. Some here have a few various years to sell. I prefer the book rather the PDF version, but that's a choice of personal preference.

The wires are soldered to the back of the motor.
Only 73 on up (Motorcraft) had a pig tail connector from the housing. 72 and earlier used a prestolite motor.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Matt N. Matt N. wrote:

What is a TSM? also the wires coming out of the motor are barely there and have no insulation  left, so I don't know what colors they were. Was there originally a connector there?

The only connectors are under the dashnto the switch and power. Wires were connected directly to the motor.
Matt N. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 5:31pm
Thanks all for the help! The wires at the motor were completely disconnected so I'm sure thats where I'll start.  I found some good  pictures of a proper set up and it looks like what I was describing as romex was factory wiring! Wacko I do Have a "TSM" it's just at 1st glance it didn't look right so I didn't refer to it and  just posted here. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the motor an re-solder the wires to it. Anyone have picture of diagram thst shows which wire goes where?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Matt N. Matt N. wrote:

Anyone have picture of diagram thst shows which wire goes where?
Third post in this thread
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Matt N. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 6:12pm
Looks like I'm going to have to solder to inside of it, because the wires coming out are no longer there. So if anyone have any knowledge it would be helpful. I haven't taken the motor off yet maybe I'll see some wire colors when I pull the cover off. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Matt N. - Apr/25/2022 at 6:15pm
Matt N. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 6:28pm
I found this to be helpful 

www.sw-em.com/Windshield%20Wiper%20Systems.htm#Autolite_Prestolite

Edited by Matt N. - Apr/25/2022 at 6:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic