TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Windows won't roll up all the way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows won't roll up all the way.
    Posted: Sep/19/2011 at 10:12am

OK, so I made huge progress on my interior…then we got hit by a hurricane and a torrential rainstorm a week later.  I had not yet put on the new seals, so when I found water on the driver’s and passenger’s floor I thought the old seals let the water in when the rain was going sideways in the storms.  So, I’ve been fighting the water inside the car for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  Then, yesterday, when I was replacing the window sweep seals I noticed…the driver’s and passenger’s windows do not roll all the way up anymore!  There is a 1/16th to 1/8th inch gap at the top of both!  This is a new issue…I hadn’t driven the Waggy for a couple weeks but I never saw this before with the vehicle and I know I had noticed in the recent past that they were rolling up all the way just fine.  The windows are a bit tough to roll down, so I can only figure that forcing them to roll all the way down may have misaligned/bent something in the window track or mechanism that would prevent them from rolling all the way up?  Has anyone had this issue?  Any suggestions to fix?  It didn’t just happen, and the back windows on both sides roll up all the way just fine.  

1973 Javelin AMX

2007 Jeep Commander

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

-Plato
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2011 at 10:21am
Sounds like a good cleaning and adjusting is in order.  I'd probably take everything apart and clean all the regulator parts  and inspect for any damage , cracks or bent parts.   The TSM has a page showing all the adjustment points.  It's also here on the forum somewhere.   Windows can be a big pain but if you take the time and have patience you can get them to work correctly ...... good luck

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

iagmc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iagmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2011 at 3:44pm
I assume this is hand crank? If power, the plastic is hard and won't flex, and motor is too weak to power through it. I have this problem on the back windows, cold will go up fine, but warm/hot days the seals expand and motor can't power through it. 
iagmc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iagmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2011 at 3:48pm
If hand, I notice on some other makes there is adjustment in the tracks to make up for sloppy suppliers. You might want to pull the panel off and check screws with everything functional.
WWI Flying Ace View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2011 at 3:53pm
They are manual.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll have to find time next weekend and get the door panels off to see.
Confused

Edited by WWI Flying Ace - Sep/19/2011 at 3:54pm
1973 Javelin AMX

2007 Jeep Commander

-Plato
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2011 at 12:29pm
Does anyone have the link to the TSM here on the site?  I've been searching but have not been able to find it. 
1973 Javelin AMX

2007 Jeep Commander

-Plato
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 12:18pm
Bump...anyone got a link for the TSM?  Or, can anyone with a TSM send the page that has info about taking the door apart? 
1973 Javelin AMX

2007 Jeep Commander

-Plato
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 8:49pm
Any chance some part of the regulator or window is now colliding with some part of the new window sweeps inside the door?
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2011 at 9:44pm
I'd say loosen all the window fasteners and maybe the regulator mechanism, get the window all the way up, hold it there, and then tighten up all the nuts and bolts. There not a whole lot to the FSJ window mechanisms so I imagine it just needs an adjustment.
As for the floors being wet, remove your kick panels and remove all the debris inside there. Leafs and trash from the cowl gets down in there and collects. In the kick panel area is the drain for the cowl. If that gets clogged, water has no where to go but inside the truck. After 30 years, it's bound to be clogged.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWI Flying Ace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2011 at 8:46am

Thanks guys.  I'm hoping it'll be sunny this weekend and I can take a shot at the doors.  Will keep this thread updated with progress...

1973 Javelin AMX

2007 Jeep Commander

-Plato
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic