TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Willys Tornado Flow Data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 6:36am
So dyno done, looks good! 
Is the 62 going to be on the road 2023?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 7:25am
Was max power reached at 4000 rpm, or is that just where you cut the pull?
Frank Swygert
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 1:09pm
The max power came in at 4500 rpm, which was the highest we pulled it. The curve was very flat. It's an old manual dyno (hey beggars can't be choosers) with no data acquisition system so you had to hold a steady rpm and load to get a reading - very hard on stuff. So I picked 4000 rpm to check a few things, timing, air/fuel, air cleaner. Found a few hp, but did not do a lot of points. That was one of the test points.

Working on the drivetrain now, adapting a R10 overdrive to the 4wd transfer case. But that deletes the factory safeties for a normal R10 installation, and apparently it's a pretty good way to blow up a R10 by trying to back up. Trying to invent a replacement system using a linear actuator.

I'd like to say 2023, but I need to retire to get more done!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2022 at 2:38pm
There's a guy in Bruce County with an overdrive that sat in front of the transmission for his Willey's. Seemed to work well. We were replacing the clutch the first time I saw it.
Don't know anything about it other then it gave him 6 speed's, lower 1st and overdrive. Strange twin stick to drive, but he was quite slick with it.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2022 at 7:02am
The standard BW OD unit has a rail that locks OD out when you put the trans in reverse. It's activated (pushed back into the OD case) by the shift lever of the trans internally. That's why you had to have a transmission adapted to work with the OD unit, you can't just bolt it to any trans. The Laycock-DeNormanville (LD) unit has a different reverse lock-out -- it can be operated divorced from the trans. The Gear Vendors unit is a license built LD unit, but built stronger than the originals used in British cars and by AMC in the mid 70s. GV started by buying surplus units from AMC and adapting them to divorced units, and there was enough success to make a stronger unit for heavier vehicles than the original would support.

Anyway, without looking at a TSM to see exactly how the reverse lock-out rail works in the BW unit compared to the LD, I wouldn't know where to begin a work-around to the shift rail. The only thing I can say is that if you manually lock the OD out (push in the under dash handle) you can back up, as that's what the internal reverse rail does -- locks OD out -- which locks the planetary gearset to the drum gear on the output shaft and deactivating OD. So, you could simply rig a shift lever to move the lock-out lever on the OD along with the reverse lever. That, however, would prevent you from locking out OD at any other time. Maybe a spring on the end of a lengthened lever would make it possible to override the linkage, but that would increase effort... the spring would have to be pretty stiff to move the lever under normal conditions.
Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2022 at 7:31am
If you have the transmission with reverse to the right, you may be able to connect a hydraulic piston/actuator to disengage the overdrive before sliding down into reverse. Just a thought.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2022 at 1:57pm

The plan is to add a later T90 backup light shift tower, and use that signal along with a DPDT relay to control a linear actuator which replaces the mechanical cable. If I've got my wiring diagram right it *should* give me slightly better functionality than the original reverse rail and cable lockout system. I'm also using a Studebaker (my dad has Studebakers, and donated an R10) later model 3 terminal solenoid so I do not need the original factory OD relay.

Of course best laid plans - remains to be seen. The parts should arrive on the weekend.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2022 at 6:18pm
Makes sense Ken. With a linear actuator you can wire a switch to lock the OD out with the lever when it's put in reverse. A solenoid would be faster though, and you wouldn't want to let the clutch out until the OD is locked out. It won't be something for just anyone to drive! I'd put a light on the dash that comes on when the OD is locked out, then you can tell a driver to NOT let the clutch out when in reverse until the light comes on. Then you can forget the internal reverse lock-out mechanism.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2022 at 8:12pm
You and I think alike Frank, at least some of the time. The actuator is pretty fast, and the wiring plan includes a warning light that only comes on when the system is selected "off" and the actual shift rail has not finished moving. Problem with a solenoid is it won't stay when not powered.

Also true this is not for just any driver. But those OD's never were - not even close to as idiot proof as needed today!
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2022 at 11:35am
This thing sounds so good I just had to post it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic