TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Will these work on 304?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Harland sharp S-40046A.
These bolt on to a bridged rocker head style

Got it, I am going back to the drawing board now.

1975 CJ5
AMC 304
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Harland sharp S-40046A.
These bolt on to a bridged rocker head style

If I read the Harland notes right these will bolt right on with the new pedestals and are adjustable.

I assume these need guide plates? I did not see a note on that?
1975 CJ5
AMC 304
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 1:55pm
They're a bolt on replacement for pedestal rockers. Shaft runs between pairs to maintain alignment
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 2:01pm
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 2:29pm
Thanks Trader and Heavy 488
1975 CJ5
AMC 304
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 3:05pm
Ford rockers are close in pivot length and are good. I have used Fords. One possible issue is the stock shouldered studs will bind, Also watch the bottom of the rocker for interference with the stud radius regardless of the stud. SBC rockers are too short pivot and side load the stud and it will break.

Check the contact with the valve tip through the lift range.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 4:36pm
Those PRW stainless rocker arms appear to be sold under a few different brands (Crow, Engine-Pro, ect.) and appear to be quite a cost effective option for AMC heads with stud mounted rockers, not that I've used them, but I've been looking at them.

I think the self aligning part will only apply if they are used on ford heads, so you will need guide plates on AMC bridged rocker heads.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 5:24pm
In the later part of the 70's, ford small block rockers were aligned at the tip. The rockers had a rail edge to hold it straight at valve tip and the valves had a slip on hardened tip.
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 8:16am
Thanks again all, I dropped the heads off but haven't told him to do any additional machining yet... I hate to cut the cost in the wrong place.... 

I am going to see if I can either hold out and get the Harland Sharp OR...

I called Scorpion yesterday and spoke with Norman, he said a guy out in Arizona either Gary or Steve Brown had used his rockers P/N 3197 and was able to do it with very little modifications... I think he even said the pushrods were stock length...  (I have to replace mine anyway so I will need to measure).

1975 CJ5
AMC 304
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2021 at 11:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic