TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Will these work on 304?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will these work on 304?
    Posted: May/05/2021 at 11:56am
I have been trying to find full roller rockers that fit my budget... It is next to impossible, but I found these.  The ratio and capacities seem to line up but don't want to dig back into this motor for a third time because I made an assumption.  

They say that these are for Ford small block, has anyone used rockers that do not "specifically" say they are for AMC?

Thanks.

1975 CJ5
AMC 304
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:06pm
The problem you will have is that if you have 75 heads with bridged rockers, you will have to buy either Harland-Sharp or Scorpion rockers designed for the bridged heads.   If not, you will need to machine the pedestals about .375" and have them drilled/tapped for GM style studs.  You will need to run guide plates and possibly a different length pushrod.   Someone here had a writeup on using junkyard LS rockers, but I think they're a 1.7 ratio.

Bob
tufcj   
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

The problem you will have is that if you have 75 heads with bridged rockers, you will have to buy either Harland-Sharp or Scorpion rockers designed for the bridged heads.   If not, you will need to machine the pedestals about .375" and have them drilled/tapped for GM style studs.  You will need to run guide plates and possibly a different length pushrod.   Someone here had a writeup on using junkyard LS rockers, but I think they're a 1.7 ratio.

Bob
tufcj   

Ok, I am dropping heads off at the shop today so I can have them setup with studs. 

These say they are self aligning, I went with these because I didn't want to mess with the guide plates.

I did see the other posts but it was a little different than this so thought the questions was reasonable. 

Thank you!
1975 CJ5
AMC 304
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:34pm
Unless I missed it the only thing I see in the spec is self locking,  didn't see any mention of self aligning.
How much does machine work and related pieces add to the price over a correct set of rollers for that head style?
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:45pm
I thought scorpion recently started offering roller rockers for bridged rocker heads.  They can’t be crazy money....  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:48pm
The LS rockers are something I believe JCISWORTHY was doing with success, dont know what heads he was starting with or if any machining was needed.  He is a engine builder so an added step when rebuilding a set of heads is not a big deal.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Unless I missed it the only thing I see in the spec is self locking,  didn't see any mention of self aligning.
How much does machine work and related pieces add to the price over a correct set of rollers for that head style?

Heavy 488, it is the seventh line on the overview that addresses the self aligning.

I was just going over the numbers again.

It was suggested I got full roller vs. roller tip... If I went roller tip then I can get the rockers, studs and guide plates for around $200.  Plus another $100 or so for head machining. So roller tip rockers $300-$400.

I have not seen any of the other rockers for less than $350... plus they are require the studs and prep work too, so another $150-$200.

I may be missing something so please correct me if I am wrong. 

1975 CJ5
AMC 304
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by 75Cj5 75Cj5 wrote:

Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Heavy 488, it is the seventh line on the overview that addresses the self aligning.

I was just going over the numbers again.

It was suggested I got full roller vs. roller tip... If I went roller tip then I can get the rockers, studs and guide plates for around $200.  Plus another $100 or so for head machining. So roller tip rockers $300-$400.

I have not seen any of the other rockers for less than $350... plus they are require the studs and prep work too, so another $150-$200.

I may be missing something so please correct me if I am wrong. 

And looking at it this way... there is not much difference in cost.  So I guess what makes the most sense is not what I am going to be working on.
1975 CJ5
AMC 304
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

I thought scorpion recently started offering roller rockers for bridged rocker heads.  They can’t be crazy money....  Andy

I haven't seen this but I am going to look some more.

Thanks!

1975 CJ5
AMC 304
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2021 at 1:01pm
Harland sharp S-40046A.
These bolt on to a bridged rocker head style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic