TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Will Eagle Column go in a Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Daveohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Eagle Column go in a Javelin
    Posted: Feb/26/2021 at 9:54pm
My 73 Javelin AMX project car (floor shift automatic) has a steering column that is stripped down.
The key switch, turn indicators and a bunch of other stuff is missing.

The Eagle Wagon I mentioned as being for sale many months ago is still available.
Since it is a 6, I can't figure any part of the car I could use other than possibly the steering column.

(unless the gas tank somehow fits)

My question is: What benefit would the Eagle column be to me?
Can I put the top of the Eagle steering column on the base shaft of the Javelin?
The guy wants 50 dollars for just the column. Seems a little high.
It has a sport wheel that looks like it belongs on a Javelin, but the grip surface is bad.
I have not looked at it for months but I assume an Eagle Wagon has a floor shift and tilt.
Is that right?
Does it use the same key as the Javelin?

Do you suppose the spline pattern on the steering wheel on the 80's Eagle and the Javelin
is the same? I also have a 71 Javelin that I wish had a red sport wheel, since it has the red interior.

How can I remove the needed parts of the column from the Eagle without having to punch out roll pins?
I'm not prevented from using a hack saw at the base if I need to.

Hey, maybe the steering box and pump will fit.  What do you think?

Edited by Monk Daveohue - Feb/27/2021 at 2:57pm
Monk Daveohue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Daveohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2021 at 11:50pm
Here is the column:

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2021 at 6:08am
The Eagle column parts won't work to repair your Javelin column. The steering wheel will fit your Javelin column.

It may be possible to install the complete Eagle column in your Javelin, but I have no knowledge of what that would entail. Probably some wiring changes to start.

Buy the Eagle column & sell it, it is a tilt column & may have a little value. Use the money to buy the correct column for your Javelin, it shouldn't be too hard to find, unless you want tilt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic