TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wiese Motors, Racine WI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1analguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiese Motors, Racine WI
    Posted: Feb/28/2018 at 6:39pm
I've been trying for years to find the former site of Wiese Motors. Back in the '60s and '70s my father used to buy all of his AMCs at this Racine, WI dealership. We were from Kenosha, and I now live in Racine, so after rooting around for quite awhile, I thought I might know where it used to be. An incredible stroke of good fortune today proved that I was off location in my estimate by a few blocks. My wife was going through a 1975 Racine newspaper that her friend had found in her parent's basement. Low and behold, there was an almost-full-page ad for Wiese Motors...complete with street address! Wow! It was located at 800 South Marquette Street. A decades-long search finally comes to a close. We drove by it today and the building is still there, but it is now occupied by the City of Racine Department of Public Works. So, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Big smile

Additionally, back then everyone was pronouncing the name Wiese as "weezy". I now suspect that this was not the correct pronunciation. The dealership owner's name was Ludwig W. Wiese. Sounds fairly German, no? His last name is probably correctly pronounced as "vees" or "vees-ah". If anyone has the correct pronunciation, please feel free to weigh in...

Edited by 1analguy - Feb/28/2018 at 6:54pm
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2018 at 1:26am
Wiese is German and it means Meadow/Grasplace for the Cows.

The german pronauncation is https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/De-Wiese.ogg

Source... I´m german Cool
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
1969 BASE JAV View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969 BASE JAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2018 at 12:01am
Bought a few items today and this 1966 owner identification booklet from Wiese Rambler was in the lot.

Edited by 1969 BASE JAV - Mar/03/2018 at 12:04am
Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 10:34pm
Well I guess you can't trust Google Maps. I tried finding the site and pinned on a private residence. Of course the unofficial motto of Racine is "You can't get there from here"
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
Wiese View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wiese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 9:42pm
Thank you for looking   for my Grandfathers garage. He was an auto dealer for 50 years - oldest in Wisconsin when he retired in 1980. He was a Hudson dealer when they merged with A.M.C.  I worked at the Marquette garage while in college. My father Col I.J. Wiese was general manager in the 70s. We pronounce our name Weezee. No one would  change the w to v.
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 7:07am
Wiese Rambler
1101 N Main St, Racine, WI
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic