TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Which brand of brake shoes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which brand of brake shoes?
    Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 12:51pm
The front brake shoes of the Ambo are wearing thin on the leading edge.
Nothing to worry about, but I feel I'd like to have a spare set in my spares stache.

The shoes on there are bonded. They might be the originals, no service records, but with 69,000 miles is it possible? In which case I guess they're asbestos. I like asbestos. Asbestos works. The brakes are excellent.

Surprisingly, Rock have quite a selection of shoes.
They have Bosch, Wagner, Powerstop, Centrix, Raybestos, AC Delco, Dynamic.
Is there anything to choose between them? How do I know whether they're asbestos? Perhaps I need to ask?

And for those familiar with Rock, am I buying one shoe? Or a pair? Or an axle set?
It just says 1.
Errrm.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 12:59pm
Unless you get a NOS or NORS set I doubt that anything Rock Auto currently offers is going to be asbestos. I do agree with you, asbestos is an excellent brake lining but not good for the lungs. 

Since they’re bonded on there are places that will re-line your existing shoes, more modern materials would be semi-metallic or ceramic linings. 
RandyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 1:07pm
Raybestos top tier are great, but do not get their cheap ones. I have used Wagner on lighter cars, not sure how good they are on heavy cars.

You buy per axle, not per wheel.
Randy B
68 Javelin SST 343
73 Charger Rallye 340 triple Blk
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 2:13pm
This is Rock's listing 
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/american+motors,1963,ambassador,5.3l+327cid+v8,1318531,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+shoe,1688
Raybestos Element 3 seems to be their top offering.

But not the most expensive Rock have.
I'm not looking to save a few pennies, just want the best. I'll only be changing them once.

Really don't want ceramic, they'll wear out the drums. I had modern brake pads in my Triumph TR6, might as well have dragged a rope along the road for all the use they were.

What do you think?

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 2:41pm
I think you're mistaken about ceramic linings wearing out drums,  that's metallic that wears out brake rotors or drums.

Then it depends on what pads you're getting,  plus there are pads with a combination of ceramic and metallic,  those are the ones I've learned to stay away from.

I've been using ceramic pads about 10 years on circle track cars,  get much more life out of the rotors than I did with metallic,  and good luck if you try finding asbestos,  if you do find any they've probably been sitting around a long time, or crudely made in some 3rd world country.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jan/03/2021 at 2:50pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 7:03pm
...that's a humorous expression 'drag a rope' (behind the car) Me thinks that won't work very good!

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jan/03/2021 at 7:17pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 10:09pm
I've learned to go after softer organic pads. THey don't "last as long" but also don't eat up drums as fast. 

Metallic, ceramic, etc, all work, but their design criteria I am simply not interested in. Metallics are not very grippy until they get hot, so for calm street driving, their claimed advantages don't apply. Ceramics I don't know much about beyond many people choosing them because they make less brake dust to dirty up alloy wheels (but I run steel wheels so I'm indifferent to brake dust, YMMV :-)

I'm generally worried about running out of replacement drums, not shoes.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2021 at 4:52am
Aha, Organic... I thought this was something to do with cucumbers.
The Raybsetos are Organic, so I just ordered them.

I say 'them' but am I really going to get four brakes shoes** for less than $20??

The Rock website is superb, but there is no Contact Us button that I can see, otherwise I would have asked them. I mean, four shoes for $20, caramba.
I wish Galvins had such a website for online ordering.

I also ordered a set of front wheel bearings, just in case. Can't believe how spindly the stub axles are for a big car, and the diddiy little bearings.

Brake drums can be skimmed out and relined. At a cost of course. Mine seem to have very little wear.
I'm probably more interested in getting them balanced, that's a hugs chunk of metal there and I can tell by the way it always falls down to the same spot that's it's not balanced at all.

Ivor

**edit maybe I am. I see them on Amazon for $30 plus an incredible amount for shipping.

Edited by 990V8 - Jan/04/2021 at 5:06am
Shopping Trolley
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2021 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by 990V8 990V8 wrote:

Aha, Organic... I thought this was something to do with cucumbers.

Be nice, they have feelings too you know!

> I say 'them' but am I really going to get four brakes shoes** for less than $20??

I too wonder how they are so cheap -- I've paid less! -- but maybe they're just so unpopular they want to dump 'em!

> The Rock website is superb, but there is no Contact Us button that I can see

They are not really a parts store, but a liquidator with an EXCELLENT! database. I use them for parts lookup and cross-reference. I wish there was some way to crawl the site and make a copy. I have the resources to store it all if I had any wayt to do this...

> Brake drums can be skimmed out and relined. At a cost of course. Mine seem to have very little wear.

But there is a maximum over-bore, .060" or something I think. The problem is that shops that do drums are getting scarce, and most are in a hurry, and just gouge out "a lot" of metal in one pass to get the job done faster, future be damned.  I am seriously entertaining finding a drum lathe and doing them slowly with care. Not that this would help you, so far from here/me from there.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2021 at 9:18am
A full set of Raybestos organic brake shoes for $20?
Yes, they arrived.
Even with shipping, a giveaway price.

Made in Mexico.
Along with two oil seals, one made in Mexico, one in the USA, and a wheel bearing made in China.

We have the same problem over here, we used to have a big manufacturing sector, not any more.
Heyho

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic