TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where does the ground wire on the Fuel sender go??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Where does the ground wire on the Fuel sender go??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does the ground wire on the Fuel sender go??
    Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 9:55am
 My gas tank is ready to go back in the AMX, one small detail remains. The ground wire on the metal tab on the outside of the sending unit on the top; where does the ground wire attach to?  Funny thing is when I removed the tank I didnt even realise there was a ground wire missing as the tab had broken off and the wire is long gone. The fuel gauge seemed to work OK??  Anyway I was able to peel back some of the remaing ground tab and crimp on a connector to it to make a new ground wire.  I wonder if the original wire is still attached under there some where, I'll have to look, until them someone clue me in where on the body the ground wire grounds to! Thanks!
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 10:52am
Mine runs directly up above the sending unit. Terminates with a hoop and is secured to the trunkpan with a sheet metal screw. You should be able to see the hole at least?Confused
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 1:25pm
Right - nearly straight up, a little forward as I recall. It's a sheet metal screw. There should be a hole close enough to allow the wire to connect without any stretch or having it tight, with a little loop or slack.
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2007 at 1:47pm

OK thanks Guys, I bet I'll find the screw and part of the old wire still there, or at least a hole, I'll check it tomorrow...Thanks!! I assume the wire should be black?

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2007 at 1:12am
black wire.  it attaches with a #8 or #10 hex hd sheetmetal screw to the xmbr that the fuel tank hangar bolts slip into.  in the past, someone probably dropped the tank w/o disconnecting the wire and tore it off.

Edited by Steve_P - Jul/31/2007 at 1:12am
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2007 at 2:41pm
Installed the gas tank today, the ground wire was still there but was cut.  I soldered the new ground wire terminal to the top of the sender and a new section of wire  and I'll use an inline crimp fitting to connect the original wire to the new wire.  Non electrical but I also  discovered that the vent for the tank was blocked up, the small plastic vent that is press fit into the filler neck housing "tunnel".  The hose from the fitting on the filler neck itself was finem but that hose connects to the small plastic vent and that vent was totally blocked.  I happened to have some AFB metering rods in the trunk and poked one through the vent, then I used a small bit on my dremel to hone it out a bit to keep it from clogging again. Gas tank system is totally renewed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic