TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheel options AMC Rebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel options AMC Rebel
    Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 7:25am
Hello, i am searching for an option list out of 69 for my rebel.
I want to put on a set of magnum 500 wheels and i need the proof that this was a option for the rebel.
Can anyone of you help me regarding that?
Thanks!
Regards eric 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 4:25pm
Eric,
Magnum 500 wheels were not an option on a '69 Rebel, but would be an appropriate addition to your car! You might need wheel spacers....I'm not sure.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 6:53pm
I think the problem is in many European countries, they do not allow non-factory wheels.....so he may have to show proof of availability on that specific AMC model to authorities to get proper MOT paperwork.  Many problems like this exist when exporting US built cars to Europe.  Wheel spacers are a giant NO NO in Europe!!!!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2021 at 11:07pm
Hi thanks for the reply. Exactely thats‘s the topic.
I know that those wheels were at least available for the AMX in this year.
Wasn‘t it possible to order them as well to the rebel when you have choosen this car?
Or was there a special model eg like the raider?
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/amcs-northeast-rebellion-1969-amc-rebel-raider#comments - https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/amcs-northeast-rebellion-1969-amc-rebel-raider#comments 
Cheers eric 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 7:21am
No, you could not order the Magnum 500's on a Rebel.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 7:59am
Reading through this:
A wheel adapter would be acceptable if it was approved for use, these you can purchase in the EU that are certified. I don't believe it would be too hard to convince the regulator's that AMC as a corporate manufacturer does not exist any more and does not supply rims.
For a rim, probably best bought in the EU, these should be bolt on without adapters:
The argument could also be made that Chrysler bought AMC and these are "factory replacements".
If you bought a 69 Rebel in 1969, the AMC Dealer would certainly put on Magnum 500 rims, even if the were not a factory option.

Just going through the parts book. Is it correct that the only "Styled Wheel" listed are for the Scrambler and Machine? I don't see the Magnum 500 AMC part number even though there were thousands of AMX's and Javelin's that came with them 68+. Are these all Dealer optioned or is the number obscured by the description?

Found the answer to my question. Motor Wheel Corp made all Magnum 500 wheels for Ford, Chrysler, GM and AMC. They did not have a number on the rim. In 1970 they started stamping a date code on the rim.
So there is no AMC part number for these. They are 14"*6" and other then GM's different bolt pattern, only the center caps and trim rings had factory part numbers.

Edited by Trader - Jun/08/2021 at 9:24am
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 3:41pm
Hi there, thanks for these prompt and good replys! I think that there are pretty good attemps of arguments inside that can help me regarding this issue.
I hope receiving the wheels at the end of the week so that i can check if they fit (hopefully Shocked).
And then i will have to sort my thoughts and lay a strategy on how to convince the regulator.
Why do you think that i would need adapters for the rims? 
I found a brochure in that the option for mag style wheels was mentioned for the AMX and it is also mentioned here  https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/mag-wheel-field-guide/ - https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/mag-wheel-field-guide/.
So lets see what comes out. I will let you know.
But if there are other hints or argumentation proposals that can help me make my rebel a bit sportier please don‘t hesitate to come up with!
Thanks to you all!
Great forum Tongue
Eric
flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 3:52pm
Here is the mentioned brochure where the mag option is mentioned (for the AMX)  https://www.xr793.com/wp-/uploads/2018/01/1969-AMC-Full-Line.pdf - https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/1969-AMC-Full-Line.pdf
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 4:05pm
The wheel adapter was mentioned as they look like they could be used if you needed to "adapt" a UK certified wheel.
Those wheels should not need adapters.
How about an article with some pictures:
Pretty obvious that there were new rebels that came from dealers with Magnum 500 rims.

flat3ric View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flat3ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2021 at 4:29pm
Yeah, i read this article as well, but t‘s mentioned following: „ Over the past 16 years, the Raider has been expertly preserved and remains original except for a few minor upgrades. "We put period-correct Magnum 500 wheels on it, along with white-letter radials," Joe says, "as it came with wheel covers and white-wall tires, and we just felt it looked better this way. And we added chrome NOS AMC rocker covers to replace the deteriorating painted originals." 
But i can try it : )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic