TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheel fitment question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kjmweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel fitment question
    Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 4:56pm
Have any of you ran the factory 14"x6" steel wheels or the 14"x6" aluminum slot AMC wheels on a Ford 8.8 explorer disc brake rear end? I'm trying to confirm weather or not those wheels will fit the rearend I'm putting in my 64 Rambler American. I don't have the wheels currently to check for myself & I don't want to buy something that won't clear the rotors & calipers on the 8.8 rearend. If more information is needed please let me know & I'll do my best to post what's needed.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2023 at 7:54pm
The Ford 8.8 came with different calipers. 
The Mustang version just barely clears a 14" rim and that depends on the rim itself and backspacing. Not all 14" Magnum 500 rims were the same - even with the same vehicle manufacturer.
The Explorer caliper is bigger and you need a minimum 15" rim to clear the caliper. You can purchase 16" and 17" alloy Magnum 500 rims. 17" provides the largest tire selection.
The Mustang 8.8 rear brake backing plate/bracket/caliper ... pieces can be exchanged for the larger Explorer. You must have the complete assembly for the exchange. You can read about this by searching Mustang 8.8 conversions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic