TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it?
    Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 2:57pm
1982 SX/4 with 258 and stick. Optional factory installed fog lights, and rally/console gauges (which all work now except for low oil pressure, so it's not for the gauges)
I can't find it on my wiring diagrams anywhere and it's pretty much in the middle of the harness which I don't want to fully unwrap and disassemble.
I could put my tracer on it and tone it out, but with the wires so tight together, that might not be accurate.
It's red, about 16 gauge, no larger, and has a white tracer.
It was "burned". The harness wrap had a burned looking spot, a little melted. The harness still had original wrapping, but this looked like it had a piece of gray tape around whatever it once was. Tan granuals were in it - you can see them in the pics - when I pulled the gray tape that tan stuff flaked out all over. That's what's on the hoses and valve cover, like old flaky foam.
Was this a link or fuse of some sort? What's that wire for?
The blue hose you see is my transmission pressure test gauge hose.
You might see where it "scorched" or marked a white or grey wire that was next to it in the harness (no harm done)

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 3:22pm
I am pretty sure that is a factory resistance wire that has to do with the ignition box. I recall a wire (maybe that one?) having that gooey gray tape on the wagon when I was creating the frankenstein wiring harness for the 4.0.

The 80 TSM shows it as resistance wire and splicing with the yellow wire of the two prong motorcraft plug on one end, and the starter side of the solenoid on the other. This is 80 of course, and for example I have found several differences between 79 and 80 wiring diagrams I wouldn't have expected, so this could be wrong for your car.
AMO Newsletter Editor
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 11:12pm
For some reason, AMC was fond of using that gooey gray tape on electrical splices. I've run across it many times.

I suspect Ian is right about this being the resistance wire. Is it a really soft kind of wire with sort of soft spongy type insulation? If so, it is indeed the resistance wire, as the resistance stuff has a different "feel" than does regular wire.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 12:19am
I located in my schematics some R/W in 14 ga.    One is for the sole-vac and goes to the solenoid trio and another one was ignition related.  Neither one was marked as a fusible link.  I have not studied the entire diagram closely yet to detect  others as I was going cross eyed.  This is the schematic I hope to get into the Eaglepedia this week end.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 12:33am
This is apparently not the ignition resistance wire - that's still hot - and those are indeed more "flexible" and "softer". Both sides feel like "standard" wire insulation.
This seems to be standard wire, both sides. Interestingly enough, note the length. If this were put back in the bundle, those little solid wires on the end of each wire would overlap, otherwise, if placed end-to-end, the wire would be too long to fit back neatly, and as I recall when pulling that duct tape Wink off, they overlapped. However I can't say for sure as I had some issue getting it all off and was in a hurry, was already quitting for the night when I found the melt on the wrap but refused to stop until I had it unwrapped.
It's almost like a fused splice. ?
I WILL double- check the ignition resistance wire to see if it is indeed still hot and those weren't touching when I had my light on it.
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 1:27am
I did find a R/W 18 ga wire going to the clock in the rallay guage package.  Since it seems like it might be an add on wire, could this be it?  Does the clock work?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 2:49am
The clock was the only part of the gauges that worked when I got it, and still works.
I do now believe it's going to that trio of solenoids on the inner right fender. There's a red with tracer going to that square 4-spade connector there that looks like the same wire. It's close to it, and heading the correct direction. So if that's it, I'll cap it off and wrap it back up.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 3:02am
red with a white tracer seems to be a popular wire in an Eagle.
Does it have an intake plenum heater? Could also be for the relay.
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 3:57am
I have the engine schematics in the Eaglepedia Bill.  They are for an '88 but, it may be of help.  They are in the 88 large wiring schematics section.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 4:01am
I've come in to grab my meter to trace it out. Yes, it's a heated intake.

The other popular wire color in Eagles is BLACK!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic