TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Hub Is This? (Disc Brake Upgrade on Spirit)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What Hub Is This? (Disc Brake Upgrade on Spirit)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Hub Is This? (Disc Brake Upgrade on Spirit)
    Posted: May/13/2021 at 8:29am
Y'all,

I'm installing longer studs on the hubs and since the age of the grease is unknown, I'd like to do a full cleanout & re-pack, but don't want to do so until I have new seals on hand.  The issue is that I don't know what hubs these are.  There are no markings on the seals.

EDIT:  A little birdie told me these are likely rotors with the "hat" machined off, which looks like a valid suggestion.  Any concurrence or different thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Scrappy

Edited by Scrappy - May/13/2021 at 8:41am
Goodtimes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goodtimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 8:49am
Seal manufactures like National have online catalogs with dimensions and styles, there Tech service can also be very helpful.
69 AMX 290 4spd leather
68 AMX 390 A/T 70 front
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 3:48pm
From you picture, I agree  that your hub probably began life as a disc brake rotor.

I suspect that AMC only used one seal part number for each bearing size. So you may only need to find out what bearings you have, and match it up with an AMC car that used the same front wheel bearings.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 3:57pm
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2021 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the input, Y'all!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 6:43am
All AMC spindles are the same dimensions EXCEPT the 75-78 models. Those used a bigger bearing -- all others, disc and drum brakes, 58-83, use the same dimensions on the spindles, so the seals should be the same also. At least the inside diameter will be the same, outside most likely is but could vary. Seals are cheap enough -- order a set for say a 80 Concord and see if they fit.
Frank Swygert
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 6:52am
Thanks, Frank -- that's great info.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2021 at 11:17pm
What Frank sez -- nearly all AMC from wheel (hub, rotor) seals, early 50's til the end, are National 7022S. Disc and drum! Bearings are SET2 and SET6.  Except those funny "big bearing" cars.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic