TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wcd carter flooding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wcd carter flooding
    Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 5:21pm
Is the only carburetor adjustment on the Carter wcd 2 barrel that would cause a flooding condition is a float issue or not adjusted correctly? I can get the engine to run for a 2 or 3 minutes then it won’t restart and when it’s running I have to give it throttle or it will die. It’s getting a lot of fuel because it’s running out the throttle shaft of the carburetor and I also noticed a a lot of fuel getting used from a small gallon gas tank I was using to feed the motor ( waiting for my sending unit). When I pulled the plugs they are sooted black but not wet. I checked the float level according to the tsm which you can use the gauge or 1/4 inch from the top half of the carb which it was. Without the car running properly it’s kind of hard to time or check vacuum. Once I get the fuel tank in tomorrow I’m going to re check base timing and replace the plugs. Any other suggestions or things I could check? 
Thanks

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 6:53pm
I've never had to do anything yet to my WCD which is on a 67 232 and original as far as I know. At the first sign of trouble I will order a carb kit for it and go through it to replace the old parts. 

Perhaps it is something simple like some junk clogging the needle seat?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 8:53pm
Need more information. ....

What kind of car is it? Which engine?

Has this ever worked correctly? New carb? Or just one day this started?

What's the cars history? 

Have you touched any other fuel system components? 

What fuel pump are you using?

Etc... We need context...
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 1:32am
Forget the fuel leaking from the throttle shafts and all the other conditions for just a moment.

Is it obviously running rich? Chugging, poor performance, constant raw gas smell under the hood and from the exhaust? Pitch black or even wet spark plugs? 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
jonb79 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 6:22am
The car is a 66 rogue automatic 232 with the Carter wcd, I purchased the car with the motor in pieces. I installed new rings, bearings, timing chain, lifters and cleaned/inspected the cylinder head. I had to replace the exhaust manifold with a new one and purchased one of those thick intake/exhaust gaskets that everyone recommended (can’t think of the brand name).
 The previous owner said the card was rebuilt, well it was missing internal parts, I had it apart cleaned it out. I was missing springs for the accelerator pump return and vacuum return and the vacuum piston. I found an older wcd carb at Kenosha show and used the parts from that. The fuel pump looks new and I have the vacuum ports blocked off for that. I was running the car off a gas can, I just got a new sending unit and I restored the fuel tank which I’ll be installing today. I was thinking of re checking my timing but it seems to sound good at higher idle when it is running I really don’t think it’s off except for fine tuning it. 
jonb79 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 6:30am
It’s runs good at higher rpm, chugs at idle and won’t idle pretty much. The plugs are black but not wet which I find weird. The exhaust is sooty at the exhaust tip. I didn’t upgrade the ignition or anything, I was going to check my base timing again.
jonb79 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 6:32am
The exhaust does smell like a rich condition but for a carbureted car it isn’t to bad. 
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 11:30am
Crank the idle mixture screws in some and see how it reacts. IIRC they tell you to crank those in until the RPM drops and then back out a 1/4 or 1/2 turn. Those have enough adjustment to blacken your plugs easily.

Jacin
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 4:26pm
Did you try the mixture screws? What happened? 
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2022 at 5:23pm
Have you check the carburetor floats ? The old ones use brass solder and modern gas tents to eat threw the solder  and the floats sink causing the carburetor to flood. Nothing last forever . LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic