TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Water pump rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machine2rwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water pump rebuild
    Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 3:40pm
Dose anyone know who would be able to rebuild a water pump or who may have a kit?
I'm wanting to keep the original pump off my Rebel Machine.

Thanks
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by machine2rwb machine2rwb wrote:

Dose anyone know who would be able to rebuild a water pump or who may have a kit?
I'm wanting to keep the original pump off my Rebel Machine.

Thanks

Around here if I wanted to keep my original water pump but needed it rebuilt I would take it to Rotex and they would rebuild it. So you might want to ask your local rebuild shop, or just send it to Rotex in Gardena CA. Cardone may do the same, but you should call first before sending it to them.

Dennis

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
73XBGT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73XBGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 8:21pm
I did a quick search and couldn't find a direct source for AMC V8 water pump rebuild kits.  I know there has to be a source out there though that would be willing to sell the kits to you.

Your best bet may be to contact a company like one of these guys and go from there:

http://www.waterpumpman.com/index.html

http://www.kelloggautomotive.com

If you find a source, let us know.  I'd like to rebuild a couple of my own also.
JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by 73XBGT 73XBGT wrote:

http://www[.]waterpumpman[.]com/index[.]html

FYI, DO NOT go to that website. The links on the left are reaching out to a malicious Geocities web site that is being flagged as a trojan.

I'm posting this in case anyone else comes across the post the same way I did while searching.
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 10:50pm
My local NAPA store sent mine out. Took 2 months to get it back but it seems fine. Cost around 100 bucks.
Bill Frazer
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 11:12pm
I'm sending mine off to be rebuilt by Kellogg Automotive in Maricopa, Arizona. 

You are right to rebuild your original. The 1968-1972 pumps have been recently discontinued within the last couple years by major manufacturers, including GMB. Just as well, because I have two GMB pumps on my cars right now, both with only about 30,000 miles on them, and both have shaft bearings that are getting increasingly looser. The new pumps are crap. Get your old ones rebuilt and hopefully they will last longer. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2018 at 12:31am
Galvin's sells water pumps. IIRC Doug Galvin had a local guy rebuild them. Back when I got a water pump from Galvin's , they came powder coated, and Galvin's required a good core. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2018 at 12:38pm
Would require shipping, but Casper Brake and Clutch in Kansas City, MO did a nice job on a 287 water pump for my Marlin. Their number is 816 421 2780.   They rebuilt my 287 pump with next day service.

Mike

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2018 at 6:47am
You don't find kits because it's not easy to remove the impeller without cracking it. Have to have a good press and jig to do that. It could be done in a well equipped shop if you're very careful on a press, but there is a good chance of cracking the impeller. Most of the rebuild shops have access to new (or at least other used) impellers.
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2022 at 2:28pm
I know this is an old post but his might and probably a bad idea but recently i bought a GMB water pump from Parts Geek for my 70 390 AMX and it was not even close plus it weighed twice as much. looks like it is for a 78 Wagoneer. BUT it was really cheap so I'm going to rip it apart and just check and compare the inner workings with the 70s pump. I have mill and lathe and will travel.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic