TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Viking Coil Overs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2021 at 7:34pm
Looking good! Glad they made it! 

I doubt you will have a problem with the bar bending. I'm no engineer but with the bolts on the ends it would have to pull the control arm in towards the shock to move? But really, they must work on the Fords without worry? 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 5:27am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

It was $770 all up by the time you add the spanners and thrust bearings, pretty good value I reckon.

I'm sort of more concerned about the t-bar bending in the middle, will keep an eye on it for sure.

Do you have a list of the part numbers available? What rate of springs did you use and looks like I see a poly spring isolater above the new spring?

Thx...Im gonna order this setup for my Spirit
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 9:04am
The shocks are A331AD - Crusader double adjustable
Springs are 11SP250 so 250 lbs/in
I also added the spanner kit and thrust bearings (Torrington bearings under the springs)
The poly spring isolators were on the car already, but are just the regular AMC ones

I did test them out tonight but only got  few runs in before I had starter trouble, I think it's tossed the pinion gear off.

Track wasn't the best, we had a two day car festival there last weekend, so basically 2 days of burnouts and rubber marbles everywhere.

Did a couple of baseline runs with compression at 6 and rebound at 6, this is more of an off track setting for street use and on the trailer (probably something similar to the old shocks), ran 60' times of 1.908 and 1.809, second run was half decent, then dialed the compression to 9 and rebound to 3 (lower is softer), ran 60' times of 1.870 and 1.829, so not really conclusive, has run 1.679 previously on a good track. Tonight seemed like the rear would skip off the line but not to the point where you had to get off the gas, it did this with both shock settings.

We have a proper drag meeting the weekend, so probably a better track next week. 

Recommended shock settings for reference (AD Valving):

Edited by WesternRed - Jan/20/2021 at 6:35pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 9:48am
This was for a 71-74 Javelin application, right?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 4:38pm
74 Gremlin, but the front suspension is exactly the same as the 71-74 Javelin.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

74 Gremlin, but the front suspension is exactly the same as the 71-74 Javelin.

Ok, that’s good to know. I saw they have a different part number for the “Warrior” coilovers that has “350” in the number. Is that a different spring rate? Maybe for a more comfortable ride?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2021 at 4:09pm
350 will be the spring rate in lbs/inch and that would be quite firm, probably similar to a heavy duty factory spring. I'm at 150 **edit* 250 lbs/inch which would be very soft by comparison.

Edited by WesternRed - Nov/20/2021 at 6:10pm
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 8:35am
Looks fantastic, need something similar in my car.

Sent you a PM with some questions.
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic