TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Viking Coil Overs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 4:27pm
Thanks Steve, that's pretty much what I had in mind, the only difference is with the longer T-bar is should bolt straight in without the adapter, though that does raise some concerns if the longer bar will be strong enough, but seems to work for Fords apparently.

The 5.5" T-bar has slotted holes and works for 4.15"-4.85" bolt spacing. The AMC bolt spacing is 5", so I think slightly slotting the holes in the lower arms would be enough to get it to fit. 

I now have a sales order from Viking, so things are moving along although they are saying there is a 2-3 week lead time on orders plus shipping on that, so likely wouldn't see them until the new year.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Thanks Steve, that's pretty much what I had in mind, the only difference is with the longer T-bar is should bolt straight in without the adapter, though that does raise some concerns if the longer bar will be strong enough, but seems to work for Fords apparently.

The 5.5" T-bar has slotted holes and works for 4.15"-4.85" bolt spacing. The AMC bolt spacing is 5", so I think slightly slotting the holes in the lower arms would be enough to get it to fit. 

I now have a sales order from Viking, so things are moving along although they are saying there is a 2-3 week lead time on orders plus shipping on that, so likely wouldn't see them until the new year.

If you need to fit a shorter t-bar, or pivot pin, you can shift the holes about .500" which will give more angle for the coil overs. Most recommend about 15° angle, but it will be more like 7°, which does not loose much spring rate.

If anyone noticed my modding the UCA, I did not slot the holes, just moved them accordingly. Though I replaced the Ford pivot pin with my AMC. If I had the idea earlier, I would have kept the Ford pivot pin with my Ford spring saddle.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Sounds doable but we know the stock ford mustang lower spring seat sits lower on the upper control arm than an AMC seat does. Will that create the need for a longer spring or is there enough adjustment on the shock to take up the difference and/or use all the height adjustment up? Sure would be nice if Viking would just machine (or drill) a AMC spaced lower T bar too make this easier
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 8:39pm
I am looking at the kit for a 60-70 Falcon, I think it has a longer shock than the equivalent Mustang, there should be plenty of adjustment on the spring, it’s more important to get the shock length right so that it doesn’t bottom or top out while maintaining the maximum travel possible.
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2020 at 9:54am
Any updates on this? If Viking could simply change the T bar bolt hole spacing slightly we could have a bolt in adjustable coil over option for all 70-up AMC cars and probably sell a bunch.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 6:35am
I have ordered, but there was a couple of weeks lead time and then shipping to Australia after that, so probably won't see them until at least sometime in January.

I have since noticed a few people on Facebook running them so hopefully all goes as planned.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 11:17am
QA1 lists 5" Centre-to-centre T-bar kits:
- BAR500K = 3/4" bushing mount
- BAR505K = 5/8" bearing mount

... or at least they did.  Was looking into it years ago to fit coilovers with CF arms that have same spacing as stock arms.

Hope this helps, RD
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2020 at 8:44pm
What is the actual shock bolt spread on a stock saddle?  

Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2020 at 1:23am
I measured the bolt spacing on the stock upper arm at 5.00", the Viking T-bar for both the Falcon and Chevy II applications has slotted holes and will span 4.15-4.85" (5.5" bar), so a little slotting of the holes on the arm should be enough to make up the extra 0.150".
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2020 at 3:10pm
Mine are on the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic