TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Viking Coil Overs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2020 at 7:43pm
I've decided I want to run with A331AD-250S, which is for the 60's Falcon/Ranchero/Torino and others, bearing bottom mount, 250 lbs/in spring, AD is easy up for lower horsepower cars, i.e. less than 600HP, which suits me as I'm down around half of that for now.

Just need to find somebody to take my money as they would be special order for the Aussie distributors.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Steve Obertanec View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 6:42pm
I use the QA1 kit for G body GM cars. The kit came off a buddy's Skylark. I made an aluminum block to adapt the shock bottom of the shock to the upper control arm. The top mounts perfectly to the stock location. There is something to the offset on the bottom adapter to get the geometry correct to make the spring work properly. I believe my springs are 350# but my nephew has the correct geometry & only needs 250# springs & does some sweet wheelies. His shocks are longer than mine as well. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 6:57pm
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 10:31pm
I’m coming around to QA1 myself, mainly because I can order them online easily, not having much luck finding anybody who wants to sell me the Viking setup.

The main downside to QA1 other than having to fabricate the bottom mount is that it would give up 1” of shock travel.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 5:49am
I'm thinking that the Viking would be an advantage being double adjustable, no?

These guys had the best price for me on Viking, not sure if they would be willing to ship to you for a reasonable $$, fabquest.com . sales@fabquest.com

Good luck
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 6:41am
I believe this would be the equivalent QA1 option, which is double adjustable:

Viking does shocks that are specifically valved for drag racing, so the 19 or so rebound settings span the range of maybe the first 4 of the 19 settings on the regular shock. Gives you a lot more scope for fine tuning for drag racing, however does limit their use for other purposes. According to their website, you have to use specific settings for trailering or street driving the car to prevent damaging the shocks.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 1:03pm
My nephew does have Viking double adjustables with 250# springs. They were for something like a Biscayne or Impalala which I believe is the same as a G body. I would trust his application more than mine due to my Skylark buddy having a tubular front set up. 

You should be able to call Viking direct & figure something out.. They are very helpful. 
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 4:31pm
I seem to be making a little progress, just seems like hard work chasing up suppliers all of the time. 
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I seem to be making a little progress, just seems like hard work chasing up suppliers all of the time. 

No guarantees...but they’re worth a shot. That’s where I got my B211’s.

I’d think reaching out to Viking would be your best option though.

I like the way you’re going about your rig.

I (most) always look at your threads when I log on. Thumbs Up

Michael

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Obertanec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2020 at 9:33am
Steve Obertanec
www.stevandracing.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic