TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Viking Coil Overs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viking Coil Overs
    Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 6:35pm
I've been tearing my hair out trying to sort out some alternative stock style front springs, so it seems it may be better to just bite the bullet and buy a set of Viking coil overs, but which ones?

I'm thinking you should be able to install some variation of the early Mustang kit given the similarities in the front suspension arrangement:

Something along the lines of this, that would use the stock mounting points for the spring and shock at the top and simply replace the lower spring perch:

I don't want to go as far as the Control Freak coil over conversion kit, just want something that will work with the stock control arms.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 7:05pm
Dmack did just that on his Javelin. We figured out the combination using QA1 springs and Ridetech shocks. (He opted not to use the QA1 shocks) He turned down the original T bar to fit into the lower shock bearing and used a stem on the shock which mounted right in the stock upper mount. He says it works great, rides nice and can adjust his ride height to what he wants. It wasn't cheap but it sure was worth it in the end. You can pm him for the part numbers as I don't have them handy.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 7:22pm
Maybe reach out to Viking and see if they can do something custom for you.  They were very responsive when I had a few questions.

My thought is that since they already offer a replacement (smooth body) shock for AMC's, maybe they can build one for you with the threaded body for the spring style that you have listed.  That way you could keep the lower shock pivot of the factory setup.  

I believe that the AMC springs are different diameter at the top than the mustang springs also, but others have made adapters or modified the upper spring seat.  This may be why Viking doesn't offer a coil over kit for the AMC, maybe they don't have the different diameter tapered spring?

Edited by mbwicz - Nov/08/2020 at 7:25pm
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2020 at 7:26pm
Thinking I may have to het under there and make some more measurements, I've had the stock springs in and out so many times I can just about do it in my sleep.

I've seen Viking lists a shock for the AMC, but no semi-coil over options.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2020 at 11:48pm
I've got this far:

Sent it along with some pics to one of the local Viking distributors, see what they come back with.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 5:48am
I was told that the B210 is the front shock for a 70 and later AMC lowered 1"-2". There is another part number for the stock ride height. Both of these are smooth body. So that should give your rep an idea of the shock length for a stock application with the lower spring mount. Like you said, if you wanted to go with a mustang 2 tee bar lower mount, then that gives you other options as well. It will be interesting to see what they can do.
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 6:30am
Off topic but gives reason why I opted for 68 to 70 Mustang shocks.

I am replacing the front stock shock tower with a 68 to 70 Mustang shock tower. It is shorter in height than 71 to 73 Mustang. Which is nearly as tall as the AMC tower. With that, the only issue with using a coil over for a 70 Mustang is lower mounting pin hole locations. You could swap the pins from an OEM spring perch bushing, if poly bushings are supplied, which is most likely with the kit.

It does not take much to modify the Ford tower to fit AMC, you could cut and graft both into a custom tower, if getting fancy.

Just another option some may see easier to do with available used parts. Though it may have need for extra work. At least shock spring combos are more readily available for ride and application. A lot of 71 to 73 Mustang guys have moved to the early tower because of the lack of support for performance and ride bolt ons, with shocks.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 1:48pm
I would be in for a Viking coil over front setup if they made one and sure many other folks would be too as a nice alternative to the old now unavailable WSC motorports conversion and the Control Freak
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2020 at 4:31pm
While the Control Freak coil over conversion is nice, I think is probably overkill for what I want to achieve.

As far as I can tell from the Viking application guide, I think it would be either

60's Falcon/Ranchero/Torino which is A131/A231/A331xx depending on shock choice:
9.92" compressed height, 15.67" extended height, 5.75" travel
or
62-67 Nova A132/A232/A332xx
10.92" compressed height, 16.67" extended height, 5.75" travel

Length of the bottom T-bar is not given, so that may need to be changed. The numbers above are for a bearing lower eye, probably a poly bush would be the better option for road use. 

The most important thing is to get rid of the lower spring/shock mount so that you can have adjustable ride height.

I'm leaning towards a 250 lbs/in spring rate
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2020 at 6:24pm
Viking shocks:

‘73 Hornet Hatch...w/in 1.5” of stock ride height...I ordered the B211 front shocks.

Using stock 6 cylinder spring...but w/a 401.

No feedback yet.

Had some Bilsteins from Open Tracker...forget the serial number. They were non-adjustable and street valved. (could be used in ‘60-‘69 Falcon and several others)

Went with the Vikings to gain some adjustment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic