TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

VAPOR LOCK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2022 at 2:15pm
Vapor lock was around long before they started adding ethanol.  That only aggrivated the issue. Car makers finally started addressing it in the 70's when they added return lines. GM put a return line at the pump and AMC used a fuel filter with a return line.
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2022 at 11:35am
The best way to find non-ethanol fuel is to use this site:  https://www.pure-gas.org/.  You can find the locations by text list, map, or KML file (that you can open with many nav apps).

My vapor lock experiences are not with AMCs, but the principles and fixes are the same.  This is what I did for my '57 Chevy, which is still carbed (but will soon be F.I.), most of which require modifications and/or parts you might not have on your car (e.g. electric radiator fan):

A) Run non-ethanol gas.
B) Phenolic insulator between manifold and carb.
C) Use a temperature switch and relay powered "hot" at all times to let the radiator fan run after stop until it drops to a particular point.  Obviously, this doesn't help when running to keep vapor lock out of the line from the tank, but it made re-starts much easier.  Some folks refused to believe this made a difference, so I did two tests on two days back-to-back at nearly the same conditions (see the pic below).  Please no quibbling that the start temperatures are not exactly the same -- the point is the trend.
D) Created a return line.  0.035" orifice from McMaster-Carr and an AN-3 bleed line back to the tank. 
E) Moved the fuel pump to inside the tank.

In terms of effectiveness (from most to least) during running, I'd say it was:  D, E, B.  For fixing the hot-start issues:  C, E, A.

Edited by Scrappy - May/02/2022 at 11:38am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2022 at 3:01pm
oldguy - might the magic words here be: "... just replaced the fuel pump"... Shocked
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 6:01pm
I just did both, replaced my Carter fuel pump that had all of 200 miles on it before it crapped out and installed a 3/8ths inch thick gasket between the aluminum intake and carb. Much better warm starts and smoother idle.
oldguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 6:36pm
I put an electric pump in the trunk 
and the problem is gone
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic