TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Valley Pan Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valley Pan Question
    Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 10:07am
Is the valley pan reusable? I am going to assume NO but I am curious. 

Thanks.
70series70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70series70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 11:19am
I’m pretty sure the answer is no.

I’ve never tried, even though the rubber front & back pieces always slip out & leak.
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
1978 Matador Coupe Barcelona 360
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by 75Cj5 75Cj5 wrote:

Is the valley pan reusable? I am going to assume NO but I am curious.

As with most gaskets, I wouldn't.  Is it worth the time of re-doing the intake for a $30 gasket?  Put a new gasket in there and do it just once.   Follow the instructions included with the gasket.  I use copper spray tack around the intake ports and black or gray RTV around the water ports and a dab of RTV where the block and head meet.   I use brake cleaner to clean the block and intake for the end gaskets and install them dry.  I've never had one slip out.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 11:36am
I personally would never do that.....to many chances of leak......If I was stranded and no parts available yes, with loads of sealer.....BUT parts are easily available.  My time is worth more then the gasket costs..
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
75Cj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75Cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 1:40pm
Sounds good guys, thanks for the input!
70javelinbbg View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70javelinbbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 9:25pm
What brand does everyone prefer? 
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 9:52pm
If it's recently installed and you need to remove the intake for some reason, then I think you can get away with reusing the valley pan.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2021 at 9:57pm
PS: Pretty sure the last ones I used had both Felpro and Victor Reinz stamped on them
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 7:09am
I have had no trouble re-using them but that's after the mod found somewhere here in the forum. Basically cut the sides off except for the bolt hole tabs and use the soft gaskets around the ports. It makes it just a splash guard.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2021 at 8:16am
They are not supposed to be reused as others have said.  If you look at a new gasket, they have a raised  "crush" feature that goes around the ports.  After it's been used, that doesn't exist as it's flattened from tightening the intake.

Saying that, I have cleaned, added sealer, and reused them without issue when I had no $.   But I'd never do that today. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic