TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vacuum wipers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum wipers
    Posted: Feb/17/2023 at 3:04pm
So Fellers, I bought a small automotive vacuum pump off Ebarf to run my wipers independently from the engine, since I installed a power brake booster and am drawing vacuum for that off the intake manifold.

The wimpy pump barely moves the blades!  (Glad I didn't wait for a rainy day.)  Total waste of money.

Do you suppose I can put a "T" in the vacuum line and run both, off the newly rebuilt 195.6?
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2023 at 3:41pm
Yes. it should work fine.
Faster is Better
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2023 at 5:19pm
Do you know if your wiper motor is up to snuff or not?
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2023 at 5:50pm
Thanks, Gents... 

Yes, it should be in good shape.  I had it rebuilt a few years ago by a guy in NY state.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2023 at 4:33pm
The little vac motor may not be enough. I suggest a larger one and a vacuum canister between the vac source and wiper motor.

I bet you're either running an electric fuel pump or mechanical without the vac booster. DO NOT run the wipers off the brake booster line. There should be a plug in the intake for a vac line. The brake booster should run off a large port directly under the carb. Wipers use a small 3/16" or 1/4" line.

If you don't have the vac booster fuel pump run a vac storage canister between the manifold and wiper motor. I suggest the large "juice can" type found in many 90s Ford big cars (Crown Vic) and trucks. Those are half-gallon (like an old juice can!). A smaller one (about half size) will work, but the big ones will run the wipers longer. The wipers will slow a little but shouldn't stop with a canister. They may come nearly to a stop if you accelerate hard with nothing between the manifold and wiper motor.

Edited by farna - Feb/19/2023 at 4:55pm
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2023 at 4:55pm
Frank Swygert
TheCanadianAmerican View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCanadianAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2023 at 6:37pm
The vac canister doesn’t really help that much. Had it on my 65 American and it barely helped. Definitely look into a bigger pump that can put out high vacuum. The small ones dont really do a lot for constant duty 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 2:11am
A vacuum storage reservoir will keep the wipers working for a little while after you open the throttle, but not for long. It only delays the inevitable. 

It takes a pretty powerful vacuum pump to run vacuum wipers. Those plastic craptastic vacuum pumps don't stand a change. Any electric vacuum pump with enough capacity to run the wipers will take at least 10 to 15 amps to run. That's a lot of power to come up with in a 1960's car. 

A fuel pump with a built-in mechanical vacuum pump is the best way to go. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2023 at 1:46pm
That is the very pump I bought.  Too wimpy.
I don't suppose there's every been a motor driven wiper setup that could transplant.  Nah... I didn't think so.

The wimpy little pump makes enough racket to raise the dead.  I can only imagine what a bigger one would sound like.  :-)

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2023 at 6:54am
That's surprising! But they are designed to be used with a vac storage reservoir and for only a limited amount of time, not a constantly running wiper motor -- just 3-4 applications of the brakes. A bigger one would cost a lot more, but some of those are much quieter.

Check with Newport about a motor. They may have one that could be easily adapted. Another option is the cable drive types. They mount to one side and you replace the pivots, but they are relatively easy to install.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic