TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

V8 in a 76 Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmonster76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8 in a 76 Gremlin
    Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 11:32am
I’m in the process of installing a 360 in my 1976 Gremlin that had a 258 6 cylinder.  I purchased a set of Bulltear 6 cylinder to V8 conversion mounts.  All went well until I bolted th mounts to the crossmember.  The steering center link rubs the oil pan and the oil pan is barely clearing the crossmember.  Has anyone had this problem?  The trans is a built 904 and is connected.  The oil pan is a stock Milodon.  Any ideas on how to raise the engine a bit?  How much oil pan clearance is spec with a V8?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 1:45pm
Have not used these, but looking at them, the motor side bolt holes (2 front, 1 rear). If you raised the engine and switched the just the motor attaching pieces from one side to the other, it looks like it would raise the engine about 3/4" to 1". The "pivot" bolt should keep close to the same alignment. Don't know how much adjustment is in the I6 cross member for the bottom plate?
Worth a shot I think.
Greenmonster76 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmonster76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 3:26pm
If you saw the Bulltear website photos of the mounts, you are correct.  I installed them the way you mentioned.  That’s why I’m dumbfounded.  I sent photos to Bulltear, but they have no explanation of why the engine sits low.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 4:15pm
It would not hurt anything by shimming between the crossmember and mount bottoms to get your height. Just use wood until your happy and then get aluminum bar stock and make permanent ones.
Just a suggestion.  
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmonster76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 4:35pm
I have thought about doing that also.  However, when you raise the engine, the bolt holes go out of alignment.  I’ll probably disconnect the mounts and raise the engine and see what kind of shimming is needed. I was hoping to hear from a V8 Gremlin owner that could give me an idea on how much space is between the oil pan and center link.  Also the space between the oil pan and the crossmember.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 5:10pm
Hire a professional journeyman welder fabricator -look on Craigslist.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 5:12pm
Have you tried swapping the lower halves of the mounts?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmonster76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 5:28pm
I know a good fabricator.  However, I hate havin $379.00 worth of motor mounts not work.  I was hoping to hear from someone on the forum that has used these mounts in a Gremlin.  I’m hoping that it’s a simple fix.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenmonster76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 5:31pm
Not yet.  I’m hoping to get back to this project this weekend.  The bottom mounts look to be centered, and switching or flipping them won’t make a difference.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2020 at 5:39pm
The Milodon pan is made for a 4" stroker crankshaft. I'm thinking it's deeper then stock and just fits the V8 crossmember that has 1" clearance. I'm "GUESSING" Bulltear never accounted for a 4" stroker oil pan when the made those motor mounts.
As you state, need to know from someone who has done this before.
An offset spacer is no big deal if you can drill and tap a thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic