TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Using ARP head studs or stock bolts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using ARP head studs or stock bolts?
    Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 9:00pm
I would like to use ARP head studs on my 401 build but have heard they hit the free-flow manifolds I want to use. Don't want to grind my manifolds that much so was wondering if you guys have any input on this. Thanks for your help.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2021 at 11:15pm
Is there a particular reason you want or think you need studs on your build? I assume since your using manifolds it's a stockish type build. In my opinion you would be wasting money for nothing if that is the case. Rather than grind the manifolds you would probably be better off cutting the ends of the studs off so they are flush with the nut. It will take some effort installing, removing, and re-installing to get them trimmed correctly, but if you must have studs this is how I would go about it.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 2:42am
AMC used 1/2 inch head bolts while much of the competition used 7/16 inch head bolts. Thy are overbuilt and stronger than they need to be already.

Studs are useful on very high performance builds or in engines that will frequently be disassembled since the studs save wear and tear on the threads in the block. 

Otherwise, studs are more or less a waste of money on a stock to moderate build that is only taken apart once every 30 years. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 5:22am
ARP bolts are another option, if you are looking to change from your factory head bolts.  Still best to test fit them with your manifolds.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Lenni AMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenni AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 5:46am
If you decide to get studs get the kit with the 12 point nuts 
The cheaper stud kit from ARP with the 6 point nuts does not fit the heads in all places like between the rocker arms stud bosses and on each end of the head if I recall correctly. 

I have no idea if the free flows will fit without modifying the studs or not but I know that with headers you need to shorten 3 studs on each side of the engine 6 total, the studs you need to shorten are the ones that are directly under the exhaust ports.

Edited by Lenni AMC - Sep/15/2021 at 5:48am
AMC Gremlin w/401
6.212 @ 117.01 - 1/8 Mile
9.785 @ 133.11 - 1/4 Mile
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikyNqrfpMB8VzLd910Hkhg

https://rbjracing1.wixsite.com/website
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2021 at 1:29pm
You can get new head bolts off most of the AMC parts vendors. The problem with 40 year old plus factory bolts is all the stress they been under for some many years. The stock bolts are fine, just get new ones. They are a replaceable item on any major rebuild. LRDaum
LRDaum
Jims330 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jims330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 9:31pm
Thanks for the info guys. I just thought the studs would hold better with less stress on the threads. I have always used bolts on all my other builds over the years and never had any issues. I would like to replace the old bolts since I don't know how much stress they have been thru.  I think I would feel more warm and fuzzy about using new factory bolts over even ARP if I can still get factory ones. I plan to clean the threads good and oil the bolts and torque them down or should I use anti-seize on the threads? Been so long since I was in an engine I would like to get some input from the guys who do this all the time. Again thanks for your input, really appreciate the help from this forum.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2021 at 11:20pm
First, just clean up the threaded block with an undersize or used tap. Never use a new, unknown tap on a engine block. Most professional builds will us a 0.002" undersize tap.
Most professional builds will use a molybdenum disulphide lubricant for consistent torque. That's what ARP uses.
An AMC 1/2" head bolt at 75% of yield is 106 ft-lbs. Your not going to break a reused head bolt - even lubricated.
Studs are always better for many reasons, they stretch the stud not the block the threads, you can always see if threads are damaged, more consistent clamping force ...
If your building a GEN2 engine with 7/16" bolt heads. Best to use new bolts or studs as they are getting close to yield stretch.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2021 at 8:06am
If using aluminum heads you can't use studs, no clearance.   On standard iron heads the outside lower/short studs stick up quite high and interfere with the exhaust manifolds.

Unless you're building something over 600HP stick with bolts and even good original/NOS AMC stuff will keep your engine in perfect shape.

No antisieze on the threads.  Standard replacement head bolts get a little standard weight 30 motor oil.  Just a little on the first few threads.

Edited by bbgjc - Sep/21/2021 at 8:09am
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2021 at 4:36am
Studs can be used with aluminum Edelbrock heads they just have to be fitted and it did require some grinding on the exhaust manifolds.

J
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic