TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Understanding door dome switch wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding door dome switch wiring
    Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 11:10am
I have a 70 javelin. The driver door dome switch has two electrical posts. Passenger has one. Would someone explain the wiring to me. I understand the one post on the driver door goes to the post on the passenger side. Where does the second post on driver side post plug in. Thanks Dummy Don
Safety is only what one makes of it!!! 1969 chevelle SS 1970 Elcamino SS
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 11:26am
That would be for the door open/ key in ignition buzzer.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
dgordner View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 11:36am
Ok. I need to know how to wire for lights to work
dgordner View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 11:57am
So if the other post on the driver door ties in to the passenger door am I to understand that both of those wires plug in under the dash and if so where/what color plug
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 11:57am
The dome light and interior lights are wired hot through the fuse panel.

The door switch allows ground path when door is open. If the switch is corroded the pin that closes will not allow current path to the body groumd.

Or if one of the wires from the lights is broken, no path will be given.

Voltage check the wire going to the door switch. Only the passenger door switch wire will be neutral, when door is closed. Meaning no path to ground or voltage present.

Ohm the door switch in open and closed position.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dgordner View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 1:54pm
Is there a colored plug under the dash coming out of the harnes that the wires plug into?
dgordner View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 7:01pm
So if I plug the 2nd wire in the drivers door switch into the buzzer and the other wire across to the passenger door will the dome lights work when the door opens?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 7:04pm
I would strongly suggest you get yourself a copy of the TSM. The answer to all your questions will be found in the wiring diagrams within.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
dgordner View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgordner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 8:38pm
I will figure it out. I had the harness out for a ground up. I also changed from a standard to an automatic. That required neutral safety switch wiring. I got that done on my own. I just thought there would be someone on here that may know where the wires go for the domes. Thanks for tryin. Dummy Don will figure it out 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2021 at 8:58pm
Donno, all the comments seemed appropriate, and good advice. I could state from my 71 manual but, 70 may be a bit different. I assumed you wanted wiring colours and had wiring out. That I cannot be accurate enough on, thus my troubleshooting advice.

Too early to call on lack of help here, sometimes you can get an answer pronto, sometimes you get one a few days later.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic