TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Undercoating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undercoating
    Posted: Sep/18/2007 at 11:00pm
Im gonna redo the fenders on my gremlin. The tops are rusty. My question what do you all use to keep them from rusting again? Like a nice under coating or something? If so what kind? See i live on a gravel road and if I just paint it, itll just chip off and rust again. Any advice?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2007 at 12:42am
How rusty are they?  You just may be better off to replace them...........They are hard to find depending on what year your Gremlin is.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2007 at 2:09am
If your fenders are worth saving, remove the rust by any method you have available, wire wheel, sanding, sandblasting, dipping. etc.  It would be good to a convenient time to refinish the fenders inside and out while you have them off.  After you remove the rust (and patch any holes) you can use one of the commonly available rust impeding products like rust encapsulator (from Eastwood) or Por-15 (which I have never used).  It would be good to overcoat that product with a spray can type rubberized undercoating.  I suggest you get a quality undercoating like the stuff from 3M sold at body shop jobbers.  Good Luck.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2007 at 3:58pm
3M BODY Shlutz I think thats how it's spelled. It's like undercoating but doesn't fully harden to resist rock chips.  It does require a certain spray gun avalible from the part store selling it. 
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2007 at 9:54am

Truck bed coating works well for this.

Dave Z
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic