TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ugh -- Bent A Rear Hub on My '79 Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ugh -- Bent A Rear Hub on My '79 Spirit
    Posted: May/28/2021 at 4:13pm
Y'all,

I was pulling the hubs to install new studs, using the factory three-arm puller (as shown on page 2E-4 of the shop manual) and started with the passenger side.  That one came off with no fuss, but the driver side hub bent noticeably.

Are there any new or NOS AMC 20 hubs out there to be had?  I understand it's inadvisable to install used hubs on a used shaft (unless the two were mated to each other).  Thoughts on aftermarket 1-piece axles?

Thanks,
Scrappy

EDITED to clarify it's an AMC 20.

UPDATE:  I found what I needed at Kennedy American, in the form of a drum/hub package.  Got two:  one hub for the fix, one for a spare, and two drums I'll be selling off. 

UPDATE to the UPDATE:  Turns out that nearly two weeks after I made the purchase, I've finally found out that the above apparently isn't going to work out:  "The hub for the 10 x 2-1/2 drum assembly is NOT the same as the common hub used on the 10 x 1-3/4 drum because of the different offset. We cannot supply the hub you need."  I have asked if the 9x2 assembly will work, but have not heard back yet, but the "We cannot supply the hub you need" phrasing leads me to assume that isn't going to work out, either.

Edited by Scrappy - Jun/21/2021 at 3:56pm
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 4:20pm
Has anyone used these?  If so, what feedback do you have on them?

https://www.doctordiff.com/amc-1-piece-passenger-car-axle-pkg.html
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 4:34pm
Try AMC vendors for a hub, first.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 8:13pm
I have used Dr. Diff 1 piece axles in a Ramber American with model 20, and I have purchased other differential parts from him.  The axles were easy to cut to length (if you have a chop saw) and they worked well.  I have the original model 20 from my 79 Spirit with 304 if you want a complete differential.
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Tomerekson Tomerekson wrote:

I have used Dr. Diff 1 piece axles in a Ramber American with model 20, and I have purchased other differential parts from him.  The axles were easy to cut to length (if you have a chop saw) and they worked well.

Great to know, thanks!

Originally posted by Tomerekson Tomerekson wrote:

I have the original model 20 from my 79 Spirit with 304 if you want a complete differential.

Thanks, but that would be a last resort!  This one has a different gearset and limited slip (Torsen), as well as disc brakes.  I'm trying to not acquire extra parts or swap from one to the other. :)
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2021 at 9:41pm
If you find a used hub, it can be used. Set the used hub on the shaft, aligning the "splines"  with the keyway 90 degrees from your original key. Mark and have a new keyway cut in the new location.
The loss of 2.5 splines in the diameter is fine.
If you have a lot of HP and drag race, a solid axle should be the plan regardless.
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2021 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

If you find a used hub, it can be used. Set the used hub on the shaft, aligning the "splines"  with the keyway 90 degrees from your original key. Mark and have a new keyway cut in the new location.

Good to know.  I'd probably pull the axle and take it to the shop with the hub so they could get it done more precisely than marking it myself.

Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

If you have a lot of HP and drag race, a solid axle should be the plan regardless.

The car does have a lot of HP, but I don't drag race.  I do autocross, though (yes, I understand the difference in conditions between the two).
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2021 at 7:18am
Scrappy...do you have an AMC 20 or AMC 15 rear axle.....I have a NOS AMC 15 Hub, that could be just the ticket.....just PM me if that will help.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2021 at 8:00am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Scrappy...do you have an AMC 20 or AMC 15 rear axle.....I have a NOS AMC 15 Hub, that could be just the ticket.....just PM me if that will help.

Thanks, Ross -- it's a 20 and I clarified in my "wanted" post after you pointed that out.
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 3:49pm
Bumping this to get more eyes on the issue, given that I'm back to square one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic