TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Twin Grip very tight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twin Grip very tight
    Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 12:52pm
I have a 390, manual transmission, 69 AMX running a AMC 20 differential.  It seems like the rear-end nearly acts like a locker when turning right or left.  When turning sharp the inside wheel nearly locks.  I was wondering whether the tension of the clutch pack maybe too tight?  I heard, can't remember where, but the tension can vary, and I may have this wrong, from 70 - 200 foot pounds of torque.  Can this simply be an adjustment, shims, extra disks/clutches in the pack? 
When I have the rear wheels off the ground they turn very freely with no indication of tightness and yes the wheels rotate in the same direction.  I have added a friction additive to the oil.  Axles have been changed to one piece if that would have any bearing on this problem.
Would very much appreciate your opinions on this problem.

Many Thanks
I.B.Sorgn    
Madd X
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 3:01pm
I doubt changing the axles has anything to do with this if nothing else was done.
If the car sits for any length of time the oil will get squeezed out of the clutch/shim interface and grab. The top of the clutch pack is not sitting in oil. Every spring, the first thing I do is take the car out to a parking lot and do some figure 8's just for this reason.
If the clutch pack was replaced and assembled dry the same thing is going to happen. The clutches should sit in oil for 24 hours before installation. The figure 8 thing will usually work for this also but take it slower and give it more time. You don't want the clutch packs to get too hot.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 3:26pm
Try more like 250 foot pounds to break free. I swear the 2 piece AMC and Mopar limited slips are much tighter than ford and chevy. My 71 before removing the rear would keep locked under light power in parking lots. I had to stay off the pedal when turning. Then again I had 78 series on stock steel rims.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 4:19pm
Been driving the car for over 50 miles so I'm sure the clutch packs are well oiled.  Don't know about how the diff was assembled but the more I investigate I'm starting to believe that the discs may have not been installed correctly.  I agree that the axles should not effect this situation but just wanted to make sure that I mentioned that.  

It's a tough problem but I Appreciate your reply 
Madd X
IB Sorgn View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IB Sorgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 4:22pm
This is definitely not normal.

Appreciate your reply.
Madd X
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 4:29pm
Try doing some tight figure 8s in a parking lot. If I had a chattering limited slip and I changed the lube, it would still chatter so I usually did about 8-10 figure 8s and that would do the trick before giving it back to the customer.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 4:32pm
Don't want to overlook the obvious, but I assume you put the limited-slip additive in the oil or used an oil that already included it.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 7:04pm
Was the carrier rebuilt recently? I did one several years ago and missed removing one of the discs so it was bound up when I reassembled it. Same behavior your describing.

The axle nuts have nothing to do with it. There is no adjustment on the carrier to set the friction plates, they're simply sandwiched together when the two halves of the carrier are bolted together.

-Steve-

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2021 at 9:25pm
Just another thought.
You said you added the limited slip fluid.  Did you add enough? And maybe adding just a little more will give the slippage you desire.
Years ago I got tired of my truck having trouble in the sand and mud so I replaced the diff fluid and added less slip fluid than called for.  Worked like a charm.  Kind of the opposite result you're looking for but an idea.
Bill O.
70 AMX
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2021 at 5:38am
if the axles were swapped they may require triming. there is a possibility that this may be an issue caused by the axles being to long. I have done a few of the Moser solid axle mods and I recall something in the instructions about them possibly needing trimmed.  just my 2 cents

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic