TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TV cable adjustment on Holley carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsheller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV cable adjustment on Holley carb
    Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 10:11am
I am new to the forum but have already found a bunch of great info but I couldn't find the answer to my question. I have a 65 Classic with a 327. I recently was having carb issues with the holley 4 barrel (450 I think) so I switched it out to a 600 I had. I have read several posts stating this is a common swap and helps to "wake up" the 327. It is running much better with the new carb but the TV cable does not have any attaching points on this new carb and the throw of the lever on the carb seams to be much bigger than the old one. Can someone give me some tips or tricks (photos would be great) on how to get this set up. I know I need that cable working properly so I don't burn up the tranny.
Thanks for any help.
Tim
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 2:58pm
You need an arm about the same length as the arm on the old one. You're just going to have to be creative in getting an arm the right length. Wish I could be more helpful! A pic of the arm on the carb might be helpful...
Frank Swygert
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 5:05pm
Measure from the original throttle lever center of throttle shaft to connection point. You'll most likely have to make something to bolt piggyback to the Holley. You can also look into brackets that are available for 700R4 conversions. That may also be close to fitting the bill.

tsheller View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsheller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 8:55pm
I don't mind getting creative I was just hoping to take advantage of the knowledge and maybe photos of the many people who I am sure have done the same upgrade on this forum.
I haven't quite figured out how to load pics yet or I would, doesnt seem like a drag and drop procedure.
tsheller View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsheller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 8:56pm
thanks for the feedback heavy 488. I will look into that.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2021 at 9:23pm
YOu can interpolate from the stuff you already have -- the transmission throttle cable has a total "throw" of about 1/2". It's pulled all the way out at idle (where the adjustment is made) and not quite bottomed at wide open throttle.

THe lever on my (utterly different) 195.6 OHV is about 1/2" from throttle shaft CENTER line to the pin for the clevis.

THe throttle full stroke is about 90 degrees (butterfly closed almost, to vertical). YOu want to split the difference -- relative to the cable end, idle (closed) should be 45 degrees above 90 from the cable housing, to 45 degrees below 90 for WOT.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic