TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Turn Signal Switch 68 Rebel 770 Wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OilItRight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turn Signal Switch 68 Rebel 770 Wagon
    Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 8:54pm
I've come into possession of a 1968 Rebel Wagon 770
I'd like to make a daily driver/rat wagon out of it.
The body is straight and the engine and transmission are in great shape.  It has a built 350 Chevy with a CAM, Edlebrock carb, intake manifold and header 2ith a bit of a cam
A turbo 400 2ith a shift kit, cool old school chromes and baby moons. Need bigger tires on the front though cause the headers drag on some dips Ouch

What it doesn't have is a working turn signal switch. This also seems to be affecting the brake lights.

I'd sure appreciate any 411 that the knowledgeable Rambler guys on these forums might offer.  Such as where I might find part numbers a replacement one or repair parts, Interchangeable parts with other makes or models?  Is it true that at some period AMC/Rambler was using other manufacturers parts?

I even thought of a universal turn signal switch but the ones I've seen don't look like they would mount on the column where you'd want it to be as it is very large in diameter, and you'd need to mount it far down on the steering column.

Even thought about seeing if I could find a different complete steering column etc. at Pick a Part.

Here's hoping a guru will give me the wisom I need.

Thanks
Drew D. Dixon
AKA 3D
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 10:27pm
The AMC turn signal assembly and column wiring harness can be bought at most major auto parts stores. Just be sure you car has the arched pin connector for the wiring harness rather than the flat one as I have not seen a flat pin connector replacement column harness.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
OilItRight View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OilItRight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2013 at 7:53pm
Your information is much appreciated.  I had looked online and had only found one place americanpartsdepot.com and they wanted $149

The only parts house I had tried was NAPA they had repair parts (maybe).

So I went down to the nearest Integrity Store and they had it for $62 they didn't have it in stock but should have it in their delivery tomorrow,

I'm hoping this cures multiple issues with signals, parking lights, tailights and brake lights I've got now.

The only way I can get one brake light to work (right side) is if I have the blinker levet in the left turn position.  The blinker doesn't work but when I hit the break I get a right brake light.  Baffles me entirely.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OilItRight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 1:49pm
Curses Foiled Again!  The one the parts store came up with wasn't the right one.

I'm getting the feeling that anything this old just isn't going to be available.
brahlf View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brahlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 2:11pm
According to the parts book there were a few different switches depending on options.

320 8676  W/ Auto Trans, Column Gear Shift, Less Tilt Wheel

320 8679  W/ Auto Trans, Column Gear Shift, with Tilt Wheel

319 6952  W/ Standard Trans

Need to know what column you have first.
Bruce

1969 American wagon 290

1966 American Convert 290

1972 Gremlin X Factory 304

1978 Matador Wagon 360

1989 Jeep Comanche

3 AMC Eagles, not running yet
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OilItRight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 3:00pm
Yeah the nomenclature I've found refers to it as WAT=With Automatic Trans WCGS= With Column Gear Shift and LAW=Without tilt

But I hadn't found the part number 320 8676

Seems like this is what I need 320 8676  W/ Auto Trans, Column Gear Shift, Less Tilt Wheel

This looks to me to be a Delco product do you have any knowledge whether this may be the case?  Might be easier to find as a Delco equivalent then as an AMC

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 3:30pm
The difference between the standard shift and non-tilt automatic is just the light for the gear indicator. That light can be moved from the old switch to the new one.

Matt

Edited by KermitDRambler - Jan/10/2013 at 3:31pm
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OilItRight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 3:43pm

I still haven't found anything in a regular auto parts store.  Have found a couple online all priced around $150.

A universal one clamped to the steering column or an entire junkyard steering column is beginning to sound like a good idea.  I'd like to have a smaller steering wheel anyway.

I did some more sleuthing on the possibility this might be a Delco part seems to have been erroneous.

Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2013 at 9:26pm
I got a link here that might help, I had the same problem at the first of the year.

1967-9 Turn Signal "Switch-a-roo"  this is in a Corvair forum of all places and AMC used some parts that Corvetts and Corvairs used. Take that you cheby owners.
Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
brahlf View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brahlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2013 at 4:24pm
You don't say what your problem is with the lights though. I have had trouble in the past with brake lights too. Here is something to check first. Check the rear bulbs, they are a double filament. It is possible to have a filament break and drop unto the the other filament. When this happens whatever circuit broke, when power is applied it will go through the other filament to ground. In so doing it will light the wrong filament or back feed that circuit. Also check the condition of the contacts in the housings, make sure thet are clean.

If that doesn't work I have a used switch from a 67 American you can have for the shipping cost. Problems with this switch is that it is missing the plastic harness connector, you have to use yours. ( no big problem). The other is that one of the detent fingers is broken off so it won't hold in place. A company named Shee-Mar makes replacements for this. Find them at http://www.shee-mar.com. Part number SM 15. You may also find this part elsewhere.

You can just plug in this switch to see if it cures your problem without disassembling the column first.

PM me if you want the switch.
Bruce

1969 American wagon 290

1966 American Convert 290

1972 Gremlin X Factory 304

1978 Matador Wagon 360

1989 Jeep Comanche

3 AMC Eagles, not running yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic