TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tuned Port Injection AMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2022 at 11:13am
 The intake air runners feed the opposite side of the intake on TPI making them long tube runners that create velocity for good throttle response. Bore spacing doesn't matter more important is the location of the intake ports on the cylinder head flange and the intake manifold flange port locations.

J  
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2022 at 12:37pm
If you get to the point of making the adapter plate info [or the plates themselves] available, I'd be interested. 

Are you going to relocate the oil filler to one of the valve covers? Or is there a different solution?

I had suggested this here a few years back as a way to add port fuel injection to an AMC without breaking the bank. Complete TPI setups are cheap on FB Marketplace, and many/most include the ECM and wiring.

Edited by Buzzman72 - Jan/02/2022 at 12:40pm
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2022 at 5:52pm
 The oil filler will go in the valve covers I have a set of push in breathers and valve cover baffles that will be fitted in between the second and third rockers (similar to Chevy) from the front on both sides, also the PCV will go where the Chevy distributor was and I will create a sheet metal baffle similar to the AMC intake PCV factory baffle.

J
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2022 at 10:27pm
I like how it looks and I've always liked the look of the TPI but it needs to be mentioned that the OEM TPI is pretty restrictive. The runners don't flow a lot and they generally run out of steam around 4500rpm. Now the runners and TB can be upgraded... So it can work still but that's another investment.

What kind of computer are you planning on running it with? Mega Squirt or Dynamic EFI?

I've genuinely always wished there was a bolt on manifold similar to this for AMC v8 engines. I'd like to see it running.

At the same time though... I generally think the newer FI kits from Eddy, Holley or FI would ultimately be cheaper and offer greater performance.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jan/02/2022 at 10:30pm
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2022 at 6:08am
 This setup is a stock GM 91 Chevy speed density version with a modified distributor that has a billet bottom half fitted to an AMC so proper closed loop operation, this has diagnostic mode (check engine light....) and a knock sensor that most if not all other systems don't have. The wiring harness is clean and simple no emissions or anti-theft also I have a custom PROM chip that will accept some performance modifications. The stock TPI system wasn't built for high HP performance so a good match up for stock 304 and 360. I do have a TPI 350 in one of my other cars that has the inlet baffles removed, K&N air filters, inlet air foil, ported plenum, SLP intake runners, port matched intake manifold base, modified Vortech heads, SLP cam and shorty headers it runs strong. I do have Edelbrock Pro-Flow 4 on my 401 that I believe can be fitted to the TPI and make it sequential injection.

J
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2022 at 7:14am
IT might not be the best performance setup, but sure would be great for a daily driver! The alignment issues and such aren't as important at lower speeds, and the 4500 rpm restriction wouldn't be an issue either.
Frank Swygert
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2022 at 8:59am
I’m thinking a CJ-7 rig with TPI on a 360.  Sweet!
Spitfirebuilder666 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spitfirebuilder666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2022 at 9:04am
I had an 87 brand x once and put on a pair of Siamese bore runners and a 1000 cfm  throttle body and it made that car scream. Bet that would make it fun on a Rambler ect 

Edited by Spitfirebuilder666 - Jan/04/2022 at 3:52am
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2022 at 10:42am
  These high flow intake runners would also fit the AMC TPI.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jan/03/2022 at 1:39pm
Spitfirebuilder666 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spitfirebuilder666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2022 at 12:03pm
Sorry about that. I’m new to the site. It won’t happen again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic