TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trunnion loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsejamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trunnion loads
    Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 12:32pm
Working on a 69 AMX and have a question regarding the loads (forces) applied between the steering knuckle and the trunnion cone.  

So there is the obvious downward force that the spring exerts on the thrust bearing.  However it appears, from looking at the components after disassembly, there is also a side load exerted on the vertical bushing by the knuckle (or cone)?

Looking at the rubber vertical bushing, there is some slight wear on the one side of the "waffle" pattern compared to the other side which still looks new.  This is the same on both bushings and I didn't notice it until I cleaned all the old grease off, so I don't know the original orientation of bushing in the cone.  

So, is the direction of this side load inward, toward the inner fender, or outward and away from the inner fender?  

Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks

TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 8:15pm
Jeff,
  I believe the load you're referring to on the trunnion bushing would be toward the inner fender. Since the weight of the vehicle is supported by the wheel/tire, which is outboard of the trunnion bushing, the steering knuckle would be pivoting on the lower ball joint, pushing the upper part of the trunnion toward the inner fender. If you've still got waffle marks on your trunnion bushings, I'd turn them 180 degrees and reinstall them! That is if the rubber still looks good after this many years.
  I've had some trunnion bushings literally fall out in chunks after removing the nut on top of the steering knuckle, others almost as good as yours. Water seems to be the enemy of suspension bushings, and the steel sleeves and bores they sit in.
Hope this is what you needed.

Terry Sumter
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
jsejamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsejamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 8:42pm
Terry,
Thanks, makes sense.  
I was thinking of turning the bushings also, as you suggest, but just wasn't sure which way they were in there originally.  
With the exception of the minor wear on one side of the pattern, these are in really good shape and I've decided to take my chances with the original rubber.
Jeff
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 8:44pm
I can't believe you got the bushings to slide off of the knuckle pin. They are usually rusted tight for me.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic