TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission swap on 66 rambler classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2021 at 3:57pm
One more thing. AMC used to have a special torque wrench made for these that is compact and easy to use. You might find one on e-bay, but I'd be hesitant to use it. Torque wrenches work with precision springs, and time takes a toll on springs. I'd say those wrenches weren't made after the 1980 as best (may have been discontinued sooner), so they are going to be 40+ years old. I have one, just not sure I'd trust it!
Frank Swygert
Ed. View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2021 at 7:43am
Farna.  I contacted the shop that rebuilt the trans for me. They are going to fix it for me. Taking it down there today.  As far as the 3rd gear goes you hit the nail right on the head there. When I read the first couple lines of that I was like. This dude thinks I'm an idiot. Turns out I am.  Lol. Shifts just like it suppose to. Another thing I found was wrong was the throttle valve cable.  I seen on another post you explaining how to adjust it.   Just wanted to thank you and the other people for the advice. Ibe been wrenching on cars for years but when ya rip into one of these Amc's it can make ya think ya never seen a car before.   Thanks again.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2021 at 7:15am
Well, you're not an idiot. A LOT of people pull those trannys into "D" (which is D2) and announce that they have a two speed transmission. Most think the Rambler was a cheaper car back in the day, but not really -- Classic was comparable to run of the mill Chevelles and Fairlanes for the most part, usually considered a better value -- at least by AMC fans. They didn't hold value as well after the mid 60s (late 50s/early 60s did!) and were cheap used cars. Chevy used two speeds in their cheaper cars, why not Rambler? Those familiar with 50s Fords know about the shifting, but most others don't. Borg-Warner and Ford are the only ones who did that AFAIK -- I think some of the early Hydramatics started in second gear, but they were four speeds.

The throttle valve cable... hope it wasn't too far out! Lots of slipping will burn things up quick.

AMC did things a little different sometimes, but it usually makes sense once you think about it or dig into the reasons.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2021 at 9:00am
I put in a used T35 in the early eighties to replace the problem prone 3 speed manual gear box. I had it in a shop before installation to put in new front and rear seals and it has been working good ever since. Not a bad transmission from my point of view. I did change out the oil a couple of years ago that had lost its red colour.
Ed. View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2021 at 7:36am
I got my car back from the tranny shop. They said the reverse servo flipped die to the car idling to high. Kinda wondering if it wasn't properly installed. They did fix it at no cost to me and offered me a job at the end.  Lol. Drove her about 20 miles yesterday. Seems to run nice. I want to thank everyone for the input. Tried to upload a picture but nope. Dont know how.  Lol. I'm sure I'll be back. Got lots of work to do on the ol' girl. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2021 at 7:54am
I took apart and overhauled a transmission from a 66 Ambassador 232 that had a flipped servo. That is probably the reason that it ended up in the junk yard. I think if the adjustment gap gets too wide that could happen. If the piston where the O-ring sits was a little deeper then it wouldn't be able to flip.

Ed. View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2021 at 5:31pm
So I finally get this car road worthy drive her around a bit seems fine. Put a couple hundred miles on her and it stops shifting into 3rd gear. When it cold it seems to shift just fine but after 5 -6 miles it's not shifting. Before I haul this bugger back to the shop I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Appreciate it guys. 
Ed. View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2021 at 7:15pm
This is a rebuilt transmission in case anyone forgot.  
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2021 at 10:28pm
From Technical Service Manual for no upshifts 2-3

Fluid level low
Throttle linkage mis-adjusted
Manual linkage mis-adjusted
Oil tubes missing or not properly installed
Sealing rings missing or broken
Control valve not properly torqued
Throttle valve sticking
Governor valve sticking or not properly installed
2-3 shift valve sticking
2-3 shift valve plug missing
Rear clutch failure
Check ball in annular piston not seating
Ed. View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2021 at 10:41am
I'm checking the throttle valve cable now. It moves but not very freely. Wants to stick about half way down. Thanks for the input. Hope it cures it. I enjoy driving this old girl. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic