TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Trans jack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans jack
    Posted: Apr/21/2022 at 10:57pm
What high lift jack do y’all recommend? Looked at the harbor freight one, but after tax and shipping it was about as much as others. Thanks
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2022 at 10:57pm
I use a floor jack- carefully Smile It depends on what you're working on.  19'" lift is enough for most cars, but for a Tacoma 4X4 I had to use a 29" lift.  I don't think I need the full 29, but I needed way more than 19.  If I lowered the truck to use the 19, then the truck was too low and the transmission was trapped between the frame rails once it was on the ground.  Jacked it back up and got the 29" jack the next time.  No problem.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 10:12am
I bought the Harbor Freight 450 lb "low lift" transmission jack thinking I would probably only use it once, and have since used it a dozen or more times for engines, exhaust work, loading/unloading heavy boxes into my SUV... you name it. I only paid $80 and now I see they're over $120. HF hasn't been offering the regular 20% discount as often since the pandemic so their prices are not always the bargain they once were, but their quality does seem to be improving. 

Their motorcycle lift and that transmission jack make a great combination for dropping an AMC V8 out the bottom of the car.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/13/2023 at 10:23am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 10:29pm
Are you working with the car on jack stands or on a lift?
Either way, make sure the lift reaches the transmission with a few inches to spare and, as Steve P said, it goes low enough with the transmission sitting on it to get it out from under the car (not really an issue if on a lift).
Bill O.
70 AMX
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2023 at 11:00am
I have a HF transmission jack as I needed it to R&R the truck 4sp (granny first gear T18 / NP435) in my 4x2 pickup truck.
As pointed out, truck on jack stands, with the jack all the way down the trans would not clear the frame.
I had to remove the trans from the jack to get it out from under the truck.

I also had to slip the good trans under the truck then up on the HF jack to get it back up in to place.
I could not use a floor jack as the bottom of the trans is rounded and would not sit on a floor jack.
The HF you can strap it in place so it will not flop over & off the jack.
I was also doing this all by my self.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2023 at 3:37pm
Transmission jacks are also very handy with gas tanks and differentials if DIY. Wider base and being able to strap things down make it a lot easier.
Just have the QuickJack that provides 24" lift which is enough for most anything. No head room for a full lift. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic