TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Toyota differential

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyGremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toyota differential
    Posted: Oct/04/2022 at 10:24pm
Met a guy with a blue gremlin set up to bracket race at the Kenosha event in July.  Had a toyota truck rear diff with an old school 4 link set up.  Pretty neat.... anyone know him or know what differential toyota made that would fit a gremlin?  Thanks.

Steve
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2022 at 9:45am
I do not know the guy or what he's using, but most likely a 8" Toyota. I built a mini rod 4-cylinder pulling tractor 25-years ago and I used an 8" Toyota rearend. Thanks to the offroad crowd there is/ was a lot of available parts for them. I used a 5.43 gear, 30-spline full steel spool, and made the coupler from a blank I got from Mark Williams. However today the easiest, cheapest, stronger, and way easier to deal with parts availability is using a Ford 8.8" from an Explorer. 

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2022 at 3:52pm
This a good rear-end, for the size, but it makes no sense using one, even if you get it for free.  The 4WD guys break them and move on to 9" Fords.  
jonb79 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2022 at 8:11pm
Working in Toyota dealerships years ago, i’ve only seen one of those drop out carriers fail where it spun the pinion to nothing. That was in a first generation tundra warranty job. Does that bolt pattern match up with anything else? 
JohnnyGremlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyGremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2022 at 10:24pm
It definitely seems the 8.8 is the way to go for the reasons you point out....was just curious about the toyota being used....Thanks
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2022 at 12:51am
Quite honestly it may have been something on hand. On certain Japanese cars 5X4.5 wasn't unheard of (Hondas come to mind.) Looking online at Toyotas with 5X4.5 lug patterns I don't see anything that immediately came to a swappable axle. I have a 9" here I converted from 5X5.5 to 5X5 by welding and plugging the holes and drilling new ones. I would think that a truck axle would be 6 lug from japan, but it may well be what I get for thinking.

I'd do an 8.8 or even an 8.25 depending. In my Eagle I'm going to a Cherokee 8.25 which requires the shock mounts to be redone, but doesn't require the perches to be rewelded. I'm also swapping on brakes from a Liberty as well. The big thing I'm going for is 3.54 gears and the 29 spline axles in the later axles are a nice bonus. That said the aftermarket certainly favors the 8.8 in my opinion.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2022 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Mr_Roboto Mr_Roboto wrote:

Quite honestly it may have been something on hand. On certain Japanese cars 5X4.5 wasn't unheard of (Hondas come to mind.) Looking online at Toyotas with 5X4.5 lug patterns I don't see anything that immediately came to a swappable axle. I have a 9" here I converted from 5X5.5 to 5X5 by welding and plugging the holes and drilling new ones. I would think that a truck axle would be 6 lug from japan, but it may well be what I get for thinking.

I'd do an 8.8 or even an 8.25 depending. In my Eagle I'm going to a Cherokee 8.25 which requires the shock mounts to be redone, but doesn't require the perches to be rewelded. I'm also swapping on brakes from a Liberty as well. The big thing I'm going for is 3.54 gears and the 29 spline axles in the later axles are a nice bonus. That said the aftermarket certainly favors the 8.8 in my opinion.

I think some year 2wd Toyota pickups had 5x4.5", but I'm going by my foggy memory instead of looking it up.

Toughest part about doing 3.54's in an Eagle is getting the matching Eagle front chuck,
they geared most Eagles so tall from the factory.

Keep in mind the 29 spline shafts on an 8.25 are a little smaller than the 29 spline shafts on a Model 20,
they're still plenty strong, & stronger than the stock Eagle 27 spine shafts.

The C-clips & the flat front face of the 8.25"s pumpkin that grab rocks a little more than a D44 would are the only things that would make me want a Cherokee Dana 44 more than an 8.25.

Cherokee 44's are like finding hens teeth now, but they're still out there.

8.8's are great too,
pretty much Ford's clone of a 12 Bolt Chevy, and they're still practically falling out of trees at the junkyard LOL
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2022 at 7:09am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Originally posted by Mr_Roboto Mr_Roboto wrote:

I think some year 2wd Toyota pickups had 5x4.5", but I'm going by my foggy memory instead of looking it up.

Toughest part about doing 3.54's in an Eagle is getting the matching Eagle front chuck,
they geared most Eagles so tall from the factory.

Keep in mind the 29 spline shafts on an 8.25 are a little smaller than the 29 spline shafts on a Model 20,
they're still plenty strong, & stronger than the stock Eagle 27 spine shafts.

The C-clips & the flat front face of the 8.25"s pumpkin that grab rocks a little more than a D44 would are the only things that would make me want a Cherokee Dana 44 more than an 8.25.

Cherokee 44's are like finding hens teeth now, but they're still out there.

8.8's are great too,
pretty much Ford's clone of a 12 Bolt Chevy, and they're still practically falling out of trees at the junkyard LOL

Lucky I have an 82 with the switchable front; Supposedly they're the "normal" carrier so I can go to 3.54s. I'll probably find out otherwise my luck or find out that it got swapped at some point.

Not to concerned about "grabbing rocks" I'm going to violate norms and this is going to be more in the line of a Syclone or Typhoon. In the Astro Van world they used to say "2WD goes down, AWD goes up" but I'm a person who kind of does what I do.

In retrospect I probably should have looked for an 8.8. I figure that the axle will be good enough with something like 25-35% of the power going to the front instead. If I am a victim of my success (working on a T66 on the 258) I can always buy something else later. I'd have broken the 15 first even if it would have had gears other than 2.34s in it.

Besides, I figure the 998 will succumb first quite honestly and give me a bit of warning about the diff. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic