TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Torque Link Axle Hardware Fine Thread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Link Axle Hardware Fine Thread?
    Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 6:32pm
 I am sorting some rear axle stuff in my notes I have factory rear axle U bolts are coarse thread, I have a set of torque links that came with fine thread bolts both U and straight bolts anyone know if that is how they should be?

J
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 8:10pm
Torque link and u-bolts are both fine thread on my 68
68 AMX 390 4SP
67 RS Camaro 327 Auto
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 10:08pm
This changed to coarse thread either in 1970, or as a running change in 69.  I'm sure it's in the parts book.
68 was 1/2-20 fine thread on the u bolt and the HHCS.  Both used a tall nut.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 6:49am
 It looks like I have 68 torque links with fine threads, the U bolts might have been replaced they are not flat where they go over the axle and look newer than the straight bolts they all have tall nuts. I am sending some parts out for plating and want the right parts going out.

Thanks

J
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 7:13am
I would hope you're not talking about CHROME plating any suspension parts or fasteners. Google "hydrogen embrittlement" to see why.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2022 at 8:53am
 Zinc plating.

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 8:41am
Makes sense. Just checking.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 11:51am
My Dec built 70 has course threads on the U-bolt and HHCS.  The U-bolt is flat on top.  My car had slapper bars on it, so I wouldn't say its 100% original, but it seems right to me.  

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 2:14pm
 I have a pair of coarse thread U bolts with the flat section over the axle in my going to plating parts, the HHCS I have are fine thread looks like I will be buying a new set of those there's an industrial hardware company down the road from me. Mike does yours have the tall bar stock type hex nuts?

J
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2022 at 3:04pm
Yes, mine had the tall hex nuts. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic