TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tires and wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tires and wheels
    Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 1:19pm
I have a 70 Amx with 14" tires and wheels. I think it is time to move to 15" wheels. I like the magnum wheels but noticed there are many offsets to buy from. Does 7 " offset for the front and 10" for the rear work? 
I want to make sure they would fit and not rub before I purchase.
Thanks for all input
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 2:14pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 3:30pm
7" and 10" would be rim or tire width and not offset.
There are 2 methods that were used to measure offset, offset from center of the rim or offset from the rear of the rim.
I have 4-1/2" rear offset with 17" rims 8" wide on my 69 Javelin.
Offset will be related to rim/tire width so you don't interfere with suspension/steering and fenders.

Suggest you search the Forum for "tire size" as there are many pictures and variations. Some like to fill the wheel well and some like a more stock look. You can fill the rear wheel well easier, but the front has more restrictions for suspension and fenders for turning.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 4:05pm
One other thing you will want to figure out is what size and type of tires you want to run.  If you are happy with RWL radial tires, there are several options.  If you wanted redlines or polyglas (or other bias tires) there are fewer options.

As stated above, there should be lots of pictures and threads on wheel and tire options.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 5:51pm
In my opinion 14 and 15 are close to the same. If I were going for larger wheels, I would go to 17s. They look good and lots of tires come in that size. And I prefer black walls, I put the white letters in.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Gadgetman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 5:56pm
Can you or anyone else post pics of these 17" wheels?  I also going to need to do something about my tire size, but I'm still in the early restoration phase.  14" and 15" tires are getting difficult to find.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 7:34pm
Mine, close to factory tire size, 17" rims:

Gadgetman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2023 at 9:55am
Nice!  I’m guessing these are aftermarket rims.  Are there any factory or factory-style rims in either 16” or 17”?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2023 at 10:08am
17" alloy Magnum 500 aftermarket. 17" offered the best tire selection of performance tires when I was looking.
It was finding a performance tire that had good ratings for wet and dry surfaces that made the decision as there were very few 15" that had good wet surface ratings when I was out shopping. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic