TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 11:24am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

Do the tail pipes have the welded-on brackets present for attaching to the rubber hangers mounted on the car body? 

No brackets.  

On my 73 only the over-the-axle piece had a welded bracket, the rear one was just an off the shelf clamp type.  I'm not going for accuracy here and I think I can find a clamp type to replace the welded one.  Classic Industries carries a number of brackets that might work:

Edited by CamJam - Jun/10/2022 at 11:31am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 11:39am
Gardner Exhaust system fit perfectly on my 69 AMX. Their mufflers also have the proper OEM inlet & outlet orientation. Offset on inlet, centered outlet. They also offer the OEM style single bot Q clamps like the factory used.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2022 at 1:16pm
Unfortunately, Gardner doesn't make a 72-74 Javelin system, and they don't sell their brackets separately.  Waldron does sell their brackets separately and I used them on my AMX.  They're perfect, but they now want $91 each for them!  

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2022 at 8:19pm
Cam, I have been out of touch lately but just saw this thread. So glad to see another Javelin in very good hands. Looks like a good project.

wishing you the best.

B.P.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2022 at 12:02pm
Thanks, Buster, and also thanks again for the Delrin window parts.  I only did the driver's side, as it was loose, but now everything is-- if you'll excuse the pun-- smooth as glass!

E-Bay exhaust vendor sat1966 never did respond to my mid-pipe being made 10" too long, so I took it to a local shop who cut it and re-flared it for me for NO CHARGE!  I feel bad now for not giving them the business in the first place, but they're more of a tire shop than an exhaust shop and I thought fabricating a whole system might be beyond their capabilities.  I'll make sure to give them my next tire business. With six cars, one of them is always close to needing them.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2022 at 6:09pm
Finally heard back from the E-Bay exhaust vendor, nearly a month after I reached out to him.  Meanwhile, I'd already fixed it locally. Disapprove

Was surprised to see that the muffler on the car was the original muffler, AMC part number and date code plainly visible.  This car was built in 8/72 and as you can see the muffler was made in 5/72.

The car sounds good with the dual exhausts, not loud but just throaty enough at idle to let you know it's not a Kia. LOL  I've saved the old tailpipe bracket from the over-the-axle-pipe and got another from a forum member (since the car is now dual exhaust) and will have a muffler shop weld them on when I get a chance.  In the meantime, I'm using some universal type hangers.

I also bought a couple 3D printed grab handles from forum member John Rosa for both my '72 and '73.  These are not meant to be exact reproductions, but they look much better than an empty space in the dash until I can get the old, cracked ones recovered.

One little trick I found to deal with the screw immediately behind the grab handle, which was stripped out on both of my Javelins, is to use a drywall anchor, at least until such time as I can tear into the dash and fix it properly.  The drywall anchor (see photo below) screws into the dash and then the original trim screw is held securely by the anchor.  I've tried using plastic "push-in" anchors at this spot in the past and the problem you have is you can't easily get the screw out later because the anchor wants to rotate with the screw.  This type of anchor prevents that from happening.

We're cutting the rusted area behind the rear wheels out tomorrow, and I have patch panels ready to go.  I also have been working on the backglass leak.  With the trim off and the channels cleaned out, the rust here doesn't appear to have gone all the way through the metal-- it holds water anyway-- and I think the butyl rubber seal at the bottom of the glass is actually what's causing my leak into the trunk.  In any case, the backglass is coming out and we'll get a better look at what we're dealing with once that happens.  I bought a tufted cup brush for my angle grinder today but will probably wait until after Kenosha to start on that.

Edited by CamJam - Sep/18/2022 at 6:23am

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2022 at 10:02pm
That's some good information Cam. I like the date on the old muffler, so cool.
Tom
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2022 at 8:28pm
Driving the car today I went to adjust the outside rearview mirror and it broke off in my hand.  It was just a cheap aftermarket mirror that a previous owner had installed, and I had plans to replace it, just not today.  Quite by coincidence, I'd bought a pair of mirrors for my '72 at the AMO National swap meet last summer.  Even though I didn't need them at the time, the price was right, and you never know when you might break one or need one for parts.  Now that I have the '73, my plan was to put them on it eventually, but breaking the old mirror has sped that up a little.  

They need some work and are the wrong color, so that sent me down the path of a trip to the local PPG store for some 2k automotive paint.  My local store still has all the old books, so I have no problem getting them to make me any AMC color I want, including the A1 Snow White I needed today.

I plan to have the car professionally painted, but I prefer to paint the door jambs, engine bay and back glass rust-repaired areas myself, so I went ahead and got enough paint for all of it.

Got one mirror in primer today and will finish up tomorrow if the weather is nice (it's monsoon season here!)

Edited by CamJam - Jul/12/2022 at 11:42pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2022 at 4:41pm
Rear quarters and drop-offs are a little worse than I expected. Lots of bondo, with newspaper behind it.

Inner panels could probably be saved, but I'm going to replace them anyway.

Wheel arch on right side was worse than left so had to cut out the front section. Good news is that I removed the back seat and plastic panels and carpet in the rear seat area and everything.else including floors looks good. 

Edited by CamJam - Jul/14/2022 at 7:59am

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2022 at 10:39pm
Well, after a couple month hiatus, I'm ready to drop the engine tomorrow.  Got my slab finished and my new scissor lift working, and today I started taking bits off the '73 to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom.  The 360 will be going down to AZ AMC Restorations for a refresh and some performance upgrades, and I'll be painting the engine bay while everything is out of the way.  Today I got the radiator removed, and steering links, sway bar, transmission lines and exhaust removed. In the morning I'll disconnect the driveshaft, wiring and hoses, speedo cable and linkages and remove the engine and tranny as a unit.  

Really looking forward to trying out the new lift for this. I made myself a deal a few years ago to do all labor within my capabilities myself, the deal being that I could buy whatever tools I need to do the job properly. Though the lift might be a bit of an extravagance, as I approach my 68th birthday I'm finding it to be a welcome one.

I did a trial run of the lift by finishing the transmission cooling lines on my baja bronze '72.  I'd swapped out the 998 transmission for an AW4 in 2018, but never got around to finishing the cooling lines.  I'd basically just rerouted the original lines to work with the AW4, which has it's cooling line ports on the opposite side of the car from the 998. It worked fine, but looked bad, so I ordered new tubing and fittings and finally did the job right.  I forgot to take pictures of the finished product so you'll have to take my word for it, but here's a shot from a couple weeks ago of the car on the lift when I was trying it out for the first time. 

I expected that the main benefit of the lift would be getting the car high enough to work under, which is nice of course, but really 90% of the time I find I'm working at the lower settings.  It's nice to get the car just high enough to be able to work on the engine bay without bending over all the time, and when I want to raise it up higher to access something under the car, it's just a matter of pushing a button.

Anyway, the '73 is now on the lift and ready to go tomorrow.  Daily temperatures are finally down into the high 80s and low 90s and our monsoons have taken a rest for the next few days, so it's a good time to be working in my new outdoor shop.

Edited by CamJam - Sep/18/2022 at 6:12am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
  Share Topic