TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2022 at 7:58pm
Nice choice and great looking! They do look like Coys.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 9:39pm
Thanks, Keith.  Here's a photo with all the new tires and wheels installed.  Didn't really want to go quite as wide in the back as I did as I prefer the road racer look over the dragster, but the next width up from 8" is 9.5 and there's nothing in between.  I might lower the back a little at some point.  In any case, I think they look good, and the ride is really pretty decent since I lowered the pressure from the 40 psi they put in at the tire store.

On the first test drive with the new tires the heater core started leaking onto the carpet in the passenger footwell.  It's always something, isn't it?

Also broke a bleeder valve off in one of the Kelsey Hayes calipers.  Ouch   After much searching I finally found one at Advance Auto for $39 plus a $10 core.  I'm going to keep the old one and try to repair it, but didn't want to tear into it until I knew I had a spare.  That caliper is sticking anyway, and I've got some new brake lines on the way too as I'm thinking that might be where the problem is.

Found that most of my engine noise I thought was piston slap was actually the diverter valve on one of the smog tubes.  I taped it up with exhaust wrap for now and will deal with either replacing or removing the smog tubes entirely once the engine is out.

Have a new cement slab being poured this coming week in a side yard off my garage.  I plan on putting one of these portable car shelters on it so that all my old cars are out of the weather.  As you can see it has an internal frame and is easy to open up for access to the car.

Edited by CamJam - May/21/2022 at 10:15pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 10:35pm
Really like your Javelin. Cam. If you don't mind, what brand and size is your framed cover?  I've been thinking of obtaining one soon.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2022 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Really like your Javelin. Cam. If you don't mind, what brand and size is your framed cover?  I've been thinking of obtaining one soon.

It's from Amazon.  Here's a link to it.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 5:55pm
Feeling pretty good after my latest test drive-- five miles or so-- longest so far.  Nothing leaked, fell off or burst into flame, and the car drives nicely with the new tires and wheels.  Given that the front suspension obviously needs a rebuild, it actually drives almost as well as my '72 and is quieter, which probably has as much to do with the single exhaust as anything.  Also confirms my suspicion that something's still not quite right with the rear diff in my '72, as this one seems a bit quieter.

Time to start making a to-do list.  I have good feeling now for where to put my efforts, though I still haven't decided how far to go with this.  I'd say a rotisserie restoration is out of the question, as I want my cars from now on to be drivers rather than trailer queens, but I'd like it to look as close as I can to how it looked when it was new without breaking the bank to get it there.

Picked up this steering wheel from one of our local AMCers, which I think is maybe off a Matador coupe or a Concord?  The woodgrain horn button has to go, but I thought the wheel itself would be a good starting point.  Didn't realize until after I bought it (and looked at my '72) that the Javelin sports steering wheel has three short slots in each of the spokes instead of one long one.  Oh well, it won't be correct, but it should still look good with the right horn button.  I've had good luck painting vinyl and leather with Color Coat, so we'll give that a try first.  If not, perhaps I can have the leather rewrapped.

Edited by CamJam - May/22/2022 at 7:21pm

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 6:10pm
Congrat's on the find, Cam.  Looks like a solid vehicle.  Will we see it in November?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by bikerfox bikerfox wrote:

Congrat's on the find, Cam.  Looks like a solid vehicle.  Will we see it in November?

Thanks, Steve.  Not sure yet about November.  I now have more AMCs (two) than drivers (one), so something will have to stay home. Smile

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 11:25pm
Had a crazy couple days doing what should have been simple tasks.  

First of all, the right turn signal wasn't working... seems that the plastic guts inside the steering column had disintegrated, and then the left one quit as well.  These parts were always an item you could find at just about any Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc. due to their GM connection, but even so, I guess the cars they're meant for are too old as well and now the parts have to be ordered.  I went with Amazon as they could get it here soonest.

I'm always amazed by the Saginaw steering column.  It's a real Rube Goldberg of a design-- especially the tilt version-- but it really does work amazingly well... until the nylon turn signal parts break, that is.

As I was pulling into the local NAPA I noticed a guy behind me slamming on his brakes as if he wasn't aware I was stopping.  I decided to check my brake lights, and sure enough-- darker than last week's total eclipse.  I'm familiar with that switch, having replaced it in my '72 a couple years ago, so Amazon to the rescue (again).

As mentioned a couple posts back, I had a sticking front caliper so decided to replace the brake hose.  I was planning to open the bleeder to verify my diagnosis and ended up breaking the bleeder valve off.  I didn't want to try repairing it until I had a replacement caliper, and was amazed to find a KH on Advance Auto's web site.  I should have known it was too good to be true.  What showed up was the Mopar version, which is identical except that the inlet is in the wrong place and the hose bumps into the spindle.  After driving around and trying every auto parts and hardware store in our nearby town looking for adapters, Mopar hoses or anything that might solve the problem, I concluded I was going to have to bend the steel-tube portion of the brake hose.  Not the way I like to do things, but we have a new extension to our driveway being started tomorrow and the Jav was dead in the water and in the way. That did the trick, but a one hour job turned into an all day affair.

I also picked up some nylon bushings from Ace Hardware-- 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD-- to act as cushions for the door strikers.  I cut them open with a hacksaw and slipped them over the striker bolt, and it's amazing what such a small thing can do to improve a car.

I also got the steering wheel I pictured a couple posts ago painted and installed.  Feels great, but really needs the correct horn button to make it.  The Pacer/Matador mid-70s horn button just looks out of place in a sports car.

I also fixed the sagging driver's door glass, courtesy of forum member Buster Pile's (SceneOne) awesome Delrin replacement parts.  What a great upgrade, and really great of Buster to make them available to us.

Edited by CamJam - May/27/2022 at 10:19pm

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 9:58am
Congratulations Cam! It looks like a beautiful survivor. This car is in good hands now.
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2022 at 3:41pm
Cam. I've used this source many times and wrapped my own steering wheel. wheelskins.com. 
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic