TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by 74javeloon 74javeloon wrote:

When I purchased my 74 Javelin in 2016 a heavy rainfall came through the first night.  I opened the trunk and the right side of trunk was wet.  Pulled the mat back and drop off was full of water. I was recovering from a back issue so had my son jack up and we pulled a huge chunk of body calk out of the drain hole.  A large amount of water came out.  I can only think the seal around rear window is no longer doing its job.

Lift up the stainless steel trim at the bottom of the rear glass.  Your problem sounds just like mine.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 1:17pm
If the car is being stored outside, I would run a strip of water resistant tape, or a big bead of silicone along the bottom of the widow, as a temporary fix, to keep the water out of the trunk. Towels in the trunk only hold the moisture against the steel.

BTW, nice score! The car looks pretty good for a survivor.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 2:24pm
Don't use thread tape on that temp sender or it won't read right. Use liquid teflon because the sender has to ground through the manifold. If the temp gauge still doesn't read right, chances are it has the wrong resistance. I found out years ago that most of them are way off. I used one for a Mopar and it's really close.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

I would run a strip of water resistant tape, or a big bead of silicone along the bottom of the widow, as a temporary fix,

Tape = good
 Silicone = bad,,  very bad.

You do not want silicone, in any variety, anywhere near where you want to eventually apply paint. I swear people should need a license to buy silicone caulk. After 40 years in the building trades it is probably the most mis used product I have ever seen. It is not a cure all for everything.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Don't use thread tape on that temp sender or it won't read right. Use liquid teflon because the sender has to ground through the manifold. If the temp gauge still doesn't read right, chances are it has the wrong resistance. I found out years ago that most of them are way off. I used one for a Mopar and it's really close.

Actually, the sender came with sealant paste on it already.  I've already installed it but didn't run the car yet as I have the exhaust down to replace the flange gaskets.

Drove all over town today looking for exhaust flange gaskets.  Napa had the asbestos looking ring that goes on the bottom side of the heat riser valve, and Auto Zone had the flat one that goes on the top.  They didn't have a listing for the Javelin, but it's Walker number 31307.  The Auto Zone guy was nice enough to rummage through the various gaskets until we found the right size.  The car should sound a little better by tomorrow at this time. Thumbs Up  Managed to get the exhaust flange nuts loose without breaking a stud with a combination of heat, cold and Deep Creep  penetrating oil. Impact wrench did the heavy lifting once I'd spent an hour or so soaking, heating and cooling them.

I found a little item today that seems to be a commonly needed parking brake part.  Both my Javelins needed it.  This is the little grommet on the parking brake release-- the little plastic piece that holds the spring in place-- and it's commonly known as a 3/8" snap grommet. They're 35 cents at Ace Hardware, plus $3.00 for the beer you get to buy me next time you see me. LOL

Edited by CamJam - Mar/30/2022 at 8:41am

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2022 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

If the car is being stored outside, I would run a strip of water resistant tape, or a big bead of silicone along the bottom of the widow, as a temporary fix, to keep the water out of the trunk. Towels in the trunk only hold the moisture against the steel.

BTW, nice score! The car looks pretty good for a survivor.

Thanks!  The car will not normally be stored outside.  The towels were just a temporary overnight thing as I didn't have a place for it yet.  I do plan on the water resistant tape though until I can fix it properly.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2022 at 4:53pm
Got my exhaust flange gaskets replaced and the heat riser valve propped permanently open, and now that it's quiet I can hear some piston slap on one cylinder at idle.  Not surprising, given how old and tired this car is.  The amazing thing is that it still drives pretty nicely.  Coming back from my latest test drive a woman stopped me to ask me what year it was and to say how "beautiful" it was!  Just ten minutes prior I was under the car thinking how worn out it was and that I really had my work cut out for me, lol.

We're getting ready to head out on a six-week trip in our motorhome, and then we have a family reunion in June, followed by Kenosha in July, so probably not much is going to happen on the car until after that. The last few days I've just been trying to get a feel for what the car needs so I can get things ordered and have them here when the time comes.  Engine rebuild, brakes, exhaust, paint, front suspension, tires and wheels and carpet are all going to be needed, so this is going to be a bigger job than I initially thought, but it's a nice enough car that it should be pretty stunning when it's finished.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2022 at 6:17pm
Hmmm, maybe a Hemi swap?? Wink LOL

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Got my exhaust flange gaskets replaced and the heat riser valve propped permanently open, and now that it's quiet I can hear some piston slap on one cylinder at idle.  Not surprising, given how old and tired this car is.  The amazing thing is that it still drives pretty nicely.  Coming back from my latest test drive a woman stopped me to ask me what year it was and to say how "beautiful" it was!  Just ten minutes prior I was under the car thinking how worn out it was and that I really had my work cut out for me, lol.

We're getting ready to head out on a six-week trip in our motorhome, and then we have a family reunion in June, followed by Kenosha in July, so probably not much is going to happen on the car until after that. The last few days I've just been trying to get a feel for what the car needs so I can get things ordered and have them here when the time comes.  Engine rebuild, brakes, exhaust, paint, front suspension, tires and wheels and carpet are all going to be needed, so this is going to be a bigger job than I initially thought, but it's a nice enough car that it should be pretty stunning when it's finished.
  I see a American cup car in your futureBig smile.
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2022 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Have2SC's Have2SC's wrote:

Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I see a American cup car in your futureBig smile.

Ha!  Lee, I'm not sure I want to work that hard or spend the kind of money it takes to get a car to that level again.  Besides, driving them is more fun. Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic