TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2023 at 8:04pm
Despite crappy, cold and windy weather, I got the master cylinder replaced and painted the "correct" black color with 2k paint over the last couple days.  Got it all bench bled with DOT 5 today and then dropped the freshly painted lid off the bench.  One more thing to repaint next time I have the spray gun out.  Disapprove  Well anyway, the master cylinder is installed, and the newly rebuilt front calipers have been bled as well.  No sign of leaks yet.  It's sure nice to know I won't have to worry about any DOT 3 or 4 (aka paint stripper) being anywhere near this car from now on.

Finally took a look at the rear brakes for the first time since I bought the car nearly a year ago.  Needed a puller to get the drums off as they were rusted to the center hub, and the back shoes on both sides were within a hair of being metal-to-metal.  I guess that's next on the agenda.  I was planning to remove the rear axle and leaf springs once the engine was back in and go through it then, brake job included, but looks like the brakes are going to get the attention first.  There's no sense putting new wheel cylinders in-- part of my switch to DOT 5-- without doing the whole brake job. 

With what seemed to be incredible timing, Rock Auto sent me an e-mail yesterday with some closeouts, and the 10" rear drums were one of the items on sale for 20-something dollars each.  Unfortunately, when I got to the RA site there was only one left, which does me no good whatsoever.  The drums that were on the car don't look like they've ever been turned, so off to NAPA we'll go tomorrow to get that done.  All the other parts I need for the brake job are on the way.

I haven't been able to open the passenger door for a few months now, and not being able to remove the interior panel made troubleshooting it difficult.  I finally managed to get it open from the inside and found not only was the latch binding, but the exterior paddle is broken too.  Found an Ambassador/Matador NOS rear door latch on EBay for a reasonable price and confirmed through the factory parts book that the paddle is the same as the Javelin.  I could use the whole assembly if I wanted to, but then there would be no keyhole on the passenger side.  Not a big deal for me, but I'll probably just replace the paddle in the interest of keeping the car more-or-less the way the factory built it.

Edited by CamJam - Feb/23/2023 at 8:06pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2023 at 7:52pm
Gotta love NOS. 

Got my NOS door handle in.  Wrestled with that $#@&% for about two hours... not because of the handle but what caused it to break in the first place.  Planet Houston gave me a clue about a bar between the handle and the latch that needs to be twisted but he didn't do a very detailed job of explaining it.  Once I quit trying to follow directions and thought it through it became obvious, and the door now opens from the outside for the first time in six months!

I then tackled the rear brakes.  Big improvement in looks anyway.  Will be a few months yet before I know if they work any better.

70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2023 at 7:13am
Nice detail. New studs, or just cleaned up?
Bruce in NW Ohio
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2023 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 70,71,72 AMXS 70,71,72 AMXS wrote:

Nice detail. New studs, or just cleaned up?

Just a wire wheel on a drill for the studs.  Any other parts that were reused got treated to the wire wheel on a bench grinder and then overnight in Evaporust before a coat of "cast iron coat" enamel.  

The thing about brakes is no matter how nice you make them look, they'll look like crap soon enough (and nobody will see them anyway), but I just hate putting things back together that haven't been done right.  

Edited by CamJam - Feb/28/2023 at 9:19pm

DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2023 at 11:16am
Looks great Cam!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2023 at 8:56pm
Thanks, Dave.  

We're in the middle of our third winter storm in just the last few weeks-- really unusual for Arizona-- but more than welcome after ten years of drought.  As I sat down to write this it was snowing like crazy!  I managed to get the brakes finished and the doors working properly before the wet weather set in, and now am using the down time to order more parts and contemplate what's next.

I've got some NVX sound dampening butyl mat on the way, which was highly rated in a recent independent test.  It came in second but was the best value as the 1st place finisher was about twice the price.  My plan is to do what I did with my '69 AMX... some panels of butyl mat inside the doors, tunnel and floor, sprayed over in places with Lizard Skin sound deadener.  The Lizard Skin also serves to leave a nice, freshy painted appearance that looks similar to truck bed liner.  It'll all get covered up by carpeting or door panels, but whoever owns the car after me will appreciate it if he ever looks under the carpeting.

I also need to paint the door jambs and want to at least put the rocker panels in epoxy primer.  I'll let the paint shop do the rest.

If I still don't have the engine back by then, I'll probably drop the rear diff and clean everything up back there.  I haven't decided yet whether I'll replace the leaf springs or not.  That's something that's easy enough to do later if I feel the need after driving it for a while.  I'll also have the gas tank to deal with.  Unless I can get it looking like new I'll likely just replace it with one of the Hornet/Concord tanks that are currently available for around $150.

I can't do much more on the interior for now, as my body guy wants all the carpeting and upholstery out of the way when he starts welding, which won't be until after the engine is back in.

Besides sharing what I'm doing, I use these posts for later reference.  I can't tell you how many times I've looked back at my previous member project threads to refresh my memory on what I have or haven't done to a car, to find a part number or where I bought a particular part, etc., so I apologize if I get long-winded at times.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2023 at 11:29am
This weather is definitely putting a damper on things!

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2023 at 11:34am
Ha! It was 68 and sunny here in Ohio yesterday and it's 52 already today and sunny. Big smile We haven't had shovel able snow since mid-January. We've had some pretty good rains though. Weird stuff for sure.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2023 at 11:42am
I've lived in the same neighborhood since 1979, and I can only remember one of two instances in all that time when we've gotten this much snow.  This is now the 2nd time in the last 5 weeks. Last month's dumping stuck around for about a week, but it's warmer now so will likely be gone in a day or two.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2023 at 9:49pm
Got a call from my engine builder today.  They have the 360 torn down and didn't find anything seriously wrong with it other than it being very worn... about what I expected.  It will require a .030 overbore, and the crank and rod journals were on their last legs.  Head gaskets were not original, so someone has been into it before... not surprising at 114k miles.

Dan gave me some options, all the way from a stock rebuilt to a 383 stroker that would be north of 400 hp.  I'm thinking to go somewhere in the middle, with a 9:1 to 9.5 compression ratio and finish up with around 350 hp.  My own thoughts are that we might get there with Wiseco 27cc dished pistons if we stick with the stock '73 58cc heads and shouldn't need much more than a decent cam and Performer intake.

Kind of excited to finally be talking engine options.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 23>
  Share Topic