TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for a new project - '73 Javelin 360
    Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 1:45pm

Been thinking it was time for a new project.  Was looking for a Gremlin but found this nice Javelin.  A guy can't have too many Javelins, can he?  Original 360, Auto, PB and AC car.  Runs but needs typical old car TLC.  Originally sold in Grand Junction CO but has been in California most of its life.  Light rust at the top of the trunk lip and some paint bubbling behind the rear tires, but floors etc all look very good.

TV screen taillights are a little faded.  Is there a source for the lenses on these?  I had very good luck with the VHT translucent lens paint on my '69 AMX, so perhaps that will work here too.

Edited by CamJam - Mar/20/2022 at 2:33pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 2:12pm
Looks like a nice one. Congrats on the find!
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 3:01pm
Looks like a solid car. That should keep you busy for a little bit. LOL The only place that has tail light lenses for them are here. https://www.amclives.com/collections/lamps-lenses/products/lens-set-tail-light-1973-74-amc-javelin-javelin-amx Hang on to you wallet though! But if you're the only one that sells them and I'm sure they weren't cheap to get reproduced, it is what it is. I'll look and see what I have. I have quite a few sets so maybe I might have some good extras I can part with. What do you need?

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 3:01pm
 Looks like a good solid car.  Just curious, isn't the upper rad hose supposed to run under the A/C line?
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Looks like a solid car. That should keep you busy for a little bit. LOL The only place that has tail light lenses for them are here. https://www.amclives.com/collections/lamps-lenses/products/lens-set-tail-light-1973-74-amc-javelin-javelin-amx Hang on to you wallet though! But if you're the only one that sells them and I'm sure they weren't cheap to get reproduced, it is what it is. I'll look and see what I have. I have quite a few sets so maybe I might have some good extras I can part with. What do you need?

Yikes!  Well, at least they're available. Looks like I'll only need the inner lenses, the ones that include the backup light.  Are the late model Gremlin lenses exactly the same or are there some differences?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I see that the Gremlin lens has the white backup light at the bottom while the Javelin's is centered.

Edited by CamJam - Mar/20/2022 at 3:48pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Looks like a good solid car.  Just curious, isn't the upper rad hose supposed to run under the A/C line?

I honestly don't remember.  My '72 has a Sanden compressor now so I can't tell from that.  I'm sure I'll find lots of little things that need correcting, but I love finding a mostly original car that hasn't been butchered through the years.

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 3:51pm
There is an nos pair of 73 inner lights on eBay right now!
AMO Newsletter Editor
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 4:21pm
If you had the OEM molded/formed upper rad hose then the A/C hose would pass over the rad hose.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

There is an nos pair of 73 inner lights on eBay right now!

Thanks, Ian!!  Great timing.  I'm picking the car up Wednesday, so will bid before it closes once I'm sure whether they'll have to be replaced or not.

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2022 at 4:35pm
Nice project to start with!!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic