TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tilt column rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apd6545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 6:36pm
Interesting, I just rebuilt one and mine does not have a nut just a bracket that compresses the upper bearing held in place by the heavy spring?
apd6545
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by apd6545 apd6545 wrote:

Interesting, I just rebuilt one and mine does not have a nut just a bracket that compresses the upper bearing held in place by the heavy spring?

Early 70 was the last time that they used the nut...

Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 11:09am
I just took apart and cleaned my tilt steering column.  When I was done I found one single ball bearing on my table. It’s from one of the upper bearings.    The steering wheel works great now. Will it be ok missing one out of 30 bearings ?  I really don’t want to take it all back apart 
Hashtag View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hashtag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 7:38pm
I would leave it as it is but then again, I don't use a seat belt .

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:52pm
You may notice a little extra play in the shaft
they call me Capt RETIRED!
Joelfanti View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joelfanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:53pm
There’s no extra play. It’s tight 
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 8:54pm
I dont think it will be noticeable. But I would fix it.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2021 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

I dont think it will be noticeable. But I would fix it.

I'd fix it too. I've made mistakes on a few of the 15 or 20 that I've rebuilt and always taken them back apart to fix my mistakes when I made them. failure is not an option, especially when I fix them..

Carlmac369 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlmac369 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2021 at 8:26pm
Some great info here in this thread.  I remember the first time I ever got inside one of those years ago.  Went in to tighten those bolts with no info whatsoever on it.  Swore I'd never do another one but ended up doing quite a few over the years.  They really aren't that bad.

Proper tools and information is the answer on this as well as any other job. Great write-up 1970390amx.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Joelfanti Joelfanti wrote:

I just took apart and cleaned my tilt steering column.  When I was done I found one single ball bearing on my table. It’s from one of the upper bearings.    The steering wheel works great now. Will it be ok missing one out of 30 bearings ?  I really don’t want to take it all back apart 
Here's what I learned about this situation. I developed play in the column shaft and found a ball bearing on the floor. I ordered replacement bearings and comparing old to new the issue is the teflon/plastic retainer shrinks with age. With a new bearing the retainer and balls cannot fall out, the fit is that tight. 

Edited by BDCVG - Apr/20/2021 at 7:03am
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic