TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TIE RODS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2014 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by JERSEYJOE JERSEYJOE wrote:

Are the Rare Parts and the Moog numbers the same part?  If so why the hugh price difference?

Rare Parts  $129.00 inner  $98.00 outer

Moog $29.00 inner and $ $19.00 outer?

Because the price goes up when you call them "Rare Parts" Wink
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 9:21am
DAVE I SEE YOUR POINT BUT  THE STOCKERS ARE THIN, THEY MIGHT JUST DEFLECT UNDER HEAVY SIDE LOAD.  LET'S FACE IT THE STOCK F 70-14'S BIASED PLYS DON'T GENERATE A LOT OF GRIP. MY CAR IS LOWERED, HAS MODIFIED SUSPENSION AND STICKY 285/35/18 PIRELLI P ZERO ROSSOS THAT STICK LIKE GLUE AND I WOULD BET THE FIRST THINK TO DEFLECT IS THE TIE ROD.  I MIGHT BE WRONG, JUST LOOKING TO MAKE IT BEEFIER IF POSSIBLE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS. I MISPLACED MY GLASSES
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 9:26am
I  have never given it much thought when I found the information long ago... but now since I have cross referenced steering parts to mix and match for upgrading my Mustang rack, I am thinking this one over for you.

I wonder if I can cross reference some older Ford and Chevy steering parts that could be swapped as to upgrade the old AMC tie rods. I know Ford had some odd angled bends but Chevy may have straight inner tie rods.

Just another wild ride my brain is thinking about.

The closest match is a Trans AM inner tie rod... they are expensive and may need the center link bushed for a slightly smaller taper hole. Now to find a 11/16 sleeve and outer tie rod.

DS784 Front Inner Tie Rod End - Driver Side

MOOG-DS783 Front Inner Tie Rod End - Passenger Side

Here is an AMC part from Moog for 11/16 tie rod sleeve... MOOG-ES2004S

MOPAR parts... 79 Magnum outer tie rod ends.  MOOG-ES401R MOOG-ES401L Though you would need to ream the steering knuckle to a 9/16" taper.

With the AMC sleeve, you may need to swap left side to right, to be able to lengthen or shorten adjustment lengths.

Edited by 304-dude - May/06/2014 at 10:00am
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 1:31pm
REAMING THE ARM IS NOT PROBLEM.  I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS TO JEEP STEERING PARTS FOR A LONG TIME.   PERHAPS YOU COULD COME UP WITH A COMPLETE PACKAGE TO EVERYONE AND TAKE THE WELL DESERVED CREDIT FOR YOUR EFFORTS!

THANKS DUDE!
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2014 at 3:57pm
I sold my steering arms and spindles long ago, so making a kit would be a time / expence thing. I can get a set of steering arms, but the Trans AM tie rods are over my budget. At minumum a full bolt on setup dropping your old gear would be $300.00 with little prophet. To me the parts i listed can be done with a wee bit of machining and some savings. the only difference with lengths are about .35 longer thread length on the inner tie rods. which is not an issue when installing the replacement parts.

if you go to moog site all the specs for AMC and the parts  i gave will show how much needs to be done for reaming and bushing size for the center link.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2014 at 10:49am
I have rebuilt about 2 dozen or so AMC car front ends and never have seen a bent tie rod end.  I run big tires, lowered fronts and still haven't bent them.  And for the most part buy my front end kits from Kanter

http://www.kanter.com/

If for no other reason than the piece part cost is greatly reduced.  Except I purchase the new MOOG strut rod bushings.  As they are a better part.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic