TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Master of Hornets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Master of Hornets
    Posted: Aug/19/2021 at 8:48pm
So this is a several decade old project that began in the early nineties known as the Master of Hornets. I saw this car for the first time when I was 11 years old in 2009 and have been mildly obsessed with it ever since. Aside from the fact that it's and AMC, which I already have an affinity for with my previous project "The Grape of Wrath" ('74 Gremlin with a 401 centrifugally supercharged big block in bright purple), this car met all of my offroading needs of being affiliated with the Gambler 500.
The car was originally built by Pacific 4x4 by an unknown person, then it was sold to the owner of a small jewelry store in San Luis Obispo, California, where my current shop partner Jack Nageleisen worked on it and helped bring it into its current form. Now the jewelry store owner would spend exactly $315 on the car every month (matching his wife's car payment,) but eventually it got to the point where his wife was fed up with the car and called upon the man's church to do an intervention. So in 1998, the Jewelry store man was given a divine intervention by the mormon church, served his divorce papers, and taken off the title of his house, all in the parking lot of Wayne's Tire in San Luis Obispo. The last time he was seen, he was walking down the street away from said intervention. So the car sat there waiting to be paid off, but the man never came back after over a year. So in 1999 the car was sold of to a young surfer dude and daily driven until it disappeared in 2001. In 2009 the car turned up again in someones yard a few blocks from where my family lived and that's where I saw it for the first time and knew some day I would have to have the Master of Hornets. From there the car got stolen while the family that owned it was on vacation, recovered, and sold to a new owner all before the said family came back from their vacation to europe. The new owner (who I bought the car from) had let his daughter daily drive it until the engine experienced unscheduled rapid disassembly in 2011. The car was stored and not seen again until 1 month ago. I found the car while helping clean out the new owners property. I made an offer, and now I am the proud owner of the Master of Hornets. It is a 1973 AMC Hornet mounted on a 1967 Ford Bronco Chassis, with a Chevrolet 350 Targetmaster smallblock, Pontiac Turbo 400, full roll cage, dual adjustable monroe shocks on all four corners, and more history than I even know about at this point. I learn about new pieces of this car's story every day. Several previous owners have come forward and shared their experiences with the car and shared how happy they are to see it being restored to its past glory.
So, without further ado, I present the rough and gruff Master of Hornets!

BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2021 at 8:55pm
Looks like you'll need a good step ladder or stool to work on the engine bay... 
Cool project and cool history..

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Misterhornet1999 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2021 at 9:32pm
I can tell you for sure that I need a step ladder to work on the engine and I'm 6'2" I just installed a new engine and it was an absolute animal to get done with how tall this thing is haha!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2021 at 9:47pm
Since I just figured out how to resize photos, heres a larger photo of the car with more detail lol

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2021 at 11:59pm
 I looked at the pics first and didn't read the story and said "so that car isn't on a trailer it's actually that tall!? Holy smokes! I thought it was on a trailer or something then I saw the larger photo and could see more detail and those tires are the cars tires and thier on the ground.... Whoa, can you drive that on the streets or is only for the race track?"
But now I read it's a hornet ontop of a bronco chassis, that's interesting!

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Aug/20/2021 at 12:04am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2021 at 2:10pm
The car is titled here in California as a 1973 Hornet, so it is presmog and 100% street legal. It got daily driven for several years before it hucked a rod out of it in 2010 or 2011. I just put a new motor in it and have started down the process of getting it legal to drive again. It needs the turn signals fixed, a windshield, the gas tank and fuel system cleaned out, and a transmission leak tracked down, then technically it's road worthy. But for it to be safe, I need to rework the suspension and add a LOT of bracing. right now, I can grab the front shock hoops and flex the entire front suspension. The car looks like it was built fairly well from 10 feet away, but it really is a pile of flexy bendy garbage right now hahaLOL
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2021 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by 1958 rambler super 1958 rambler super wrote:

I looked at the pics first and didn't read the story and said "so that car isn't on a trailer it's actually that tall!? Holy smokes! I thought it was on a trailer or something then I saw the larger photo and could see more detail and those tires are the cars tires and thier on the ground.... Whoa, can you drive that on the streets or is only for the race track?"
But now I read it's a hornet ontop of a bronco chassis, that's interesting!

also, the car currently stands at a little under 10 feet tall from the bottom of the tire to the top of the lights, so yes...she a tall one LOLLOL
Here's a picture of my buddy standing next to...he's not tall enough to work on the engine without crawling into the engine bay.

Edited by Misterhornet1999 - Aug/20/2021 at 2:15pm
Softbuster View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Softbuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2021 at 9:09pm
Hahahahaha what a story man!
And a wild car to boot.  

I thought about nicknaming it a couple things like Giant Killer Hornet since those are popular now,
or Amtrar, but its allready got a name of its own LOL

You might want to start writing its story down for future owners!

Rock that thing!Cool

85 Eagle sedan rescue project
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2021 at 4:58pm
WELP!! Unfortunately I ain't even close to out of the woods with this beast yet. I just got it fired up for the first time without the help of an external gas tank. Fuel system all blown out and tank is clean. It ran for about 45 seconds and the started producing the worst valve train noise I've ever heard. In the process of diagnosing as I'm writing this. I'll let you all know how it goes. Cry
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misterhornet1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2021 at 3:33pm
Found the nasty tick to be nothing more than a loose exhaust connection. Got the power steering working and took the car out for its first drive around the parking lot. The power steering belt keeps wanting to invert itself for some reason making the car completely unsteerable. I also found that the front turn signals light up with the brakes, so that's a pretty neat wiring gremlin there too. Still a lot to do, BUT IT MOVES!! Thats a huge victory!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic