TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Last AMC Dealer - Collier Motors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last AMC Dealer - Collier Motors
    Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 8:17pm
Last summer my wife and I went down to a small Army reunion in NC. I saw Pikeville, home of Collier Motors, was pretty much right on the way.  I first saw Collier's by chance while I was on active duty back in 1991 - I was mesmerized by all the AMC cars there - and this was before the place got so overgrown.  27 years later Colliers was still there but just about totally hidden from view by trees and brush.  I  saw a small office trailer on the property that looked like it was a bit less abandoned than the other parts of the site.
I found out that owner Bob Collier had passed away earlier this year at the age of 88. 
Has there been any changes to the property and operation recently?  I sure hope that some of the vehicles can be saved and go to good homes.

1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 11:45am
i think the hurricane went thur or close to there
70 71 72 AMXs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 71 72 AMXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 2:59pm
Sad to hear Bob passed. I traded a rusty '68 AMX to them for a rust free '72 AMX body in '99. I spent 2 hours in awe going around that place with them until I grudgingly had to get going back home. If I could have figured out how to get one of the Alabama State Trooper cars in my truck or on the tralier with the '72, I probably would have dragged it back too! Great people and unbelievable amount of history there.
Bruce
bsochacki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsochacki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 6:42am
Did you see this article?  https://www.hotcars.com/last-standing-amc-dealership/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic