TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Last AMC Dealer - Collier Motors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx258 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Last AMC Dealer - Collier Motors
    Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 8:17pm
Last summer my wife and I went down to a small Army reunion in NC. I saw Pikeville, home of Collier Motors, was pretty much right on the way.  I first saw Collier's by chance while I was on active duty back in 1991 - I was mesmerized by all the AMC cars there - and this was before the place got so overgrown.  27 years later Colliers was still there but just about totally hidden from view by trees and brush.  I  saw a small office trailer on the property that looked like it was a bit less abandoned than the other parts of the site.
I found out that owner Bob Collier had passed away earlier this year at the age of 88. 
Has there been any changes to the property and operation recently?  I sure hope that some of the vehicles can be saved and go to good homes.

1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 11:45am
i think the hurricane went thur or close to there
70 71 72 AMXs View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 71 72 AMXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 2:59pm
Sad to hear Bob passed. I traded a rusty '68 AMX to them for a rust free '72 AMX body in '99. I spent 2 hours in awe going around that place with them until I grudgingly had to get going back home. If I could have figured out how to get one of the Alabama State Trooper cars in my truck or on the tralier with the '72, I probably would have dragged it back too! Great people and unbelievable amount of history there.
Bruce
bsochacki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsochacki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 6:42am
Did you see this article?  https://www.hotcars.com/last-standing-amc-dealership/
scotty54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2023 at 8:13am
Robert Collier Jr was at the Knoxville AMO show, talking to folks and extending invites to the dealership. He still has many cars and clearly enjoys the AMC camaraderie. He was selling front license plates and posters. He goes by Robbie and his wife is Ruby. Robbie's phone is 919-920-8132.
MIPS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MIPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2023 at 11:58am
I was under the impression over a year ago now that they were looking to liquidate the yard a heck of a lot faster now like they wanted to be done and gone soon.
Are they going to end up like one of those sleazy furniture shops that always have a giant sign saying they are closing soon and everything must go and all reasonable offers will be considered? Most of the cars in that lot are money pits of weather damaged rebuilds looking for a sucker to think they found a barely driven gem.
Davesblue50 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesblue50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2023 at 10:23am
I was there 18 months ago. Heard they were liquidating all remaining cars. True lots of the cars were weather beaten but mostly complete. I will be relocating to an area around 20 miles away soon. I will roll by and see if they have any must have project shells that would be worth dragging home. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic